Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Need HAL

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    HULL
    Posts
    30

    Need HAL

    [color=black][color=black]Hi there. I was loading Knoppix into RAM, but found it to be a bit eratic. The one good thing was that I could play Audio CD's in the drive. Now I am using it from the Cd I have to use an external DVD/CD player and every time am being told that I cannot use it because it needs HAL. I have searched everywhere for a HAL download and failed to find one.[ I would have thought that HAL would have been on the Knoppix CD, but if it is I cannot locate it. Can anyone help? Regards Grandad Walt

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    uhm, hal should already be there, it is more likely you lack access to it.
    if you type
    Code:
    groups
    do you get the ones below?

    users wheel floppy audio video cdrom plugdev
    if not try
    Code:
    sudo usermod  -G users,audio,wheel,cdrom,plugdev knoppix
    if you have added a user change knoppix to username.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    HULL
    Posts
    30

    Need HAL

    Thanks for the info, it is good to know there are those who care. But I was looking in Knoppix Package Manager and actually found HAL. Seems it was already installed. Wondered why then, that it was not helping me. Anyway I think I have gone some way to resolving the issue. Put a Music CD into the DVD drive and 'hey presto' Caffein found it and I had a real treat seeing it all displayed as it ought to be. No problems whatsoever now. This Knoppix is all and everything I ever wanted. Every day I learn something more about it. Thanks again Guy's. You are the best. Grandad Walt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SYS-6019P-ACR12L 2x Xeon Silver 4110 2.1GHz 0GB RAM 1U Rack Server picture

Supermicro SYS-6019P-ACR12L 2x Xeon Silver 4110 2.1GHz 0GB RAM 1U Rack Server

$499.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00