-
Trying to recover data from damaged hard drive
Hi, forgive me if this is not the right place to post this.
About a month ago my hard drive with WinXP stopped working. First I tried hooking it up as a slave on another computer, but it cannot be recognized. Then I researched and found that Knoppix is good for being able to recover data from damaged hard drives.
So I have Knoppix 5.1 on a disc, and can boot to it just fine, but it will not recognize the damaged hard drive. I have booted to Knoppix with a good hard drive installed (just to make sure I knew what to look for). When I boot off the cd with a good hard drive hooked up, it doesnt take very long at all to get to the desktop. When i have the damaged hard drive hooked up, its takes a really long time to get to the Knoppix desktop (although it eventually makes it there).
I'm not sure if it matters, but the damaged hard drive shows up in the BIOS just fine. If I can't get Knoppix to recognize the damaged drive, am I pretty much out of luck as far as getting the data back myself?
Thanks
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You might try testdisk under Knoppix and see if it can make any sense out of the disk. If you are very very lucky then just the partition table is damaged and the disk partition is fine, in that case testdisk (or gpart) can fix it. But, more likely, yea, you are screwed.
Similar Threads
-
By Chris2222 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
-
By adamj in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
-
By rossi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-06-2006, 03:42 PM
-
By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
-
By thebyrd in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00

TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board
$345.00

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$40.00

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00