Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Mounting with Write Access

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1

    Mounting with Write Access

    Hello everyone. In Knoppix 5.1, I had no trouble mounting flash drives and NTFS partitions with write access. Now when i try to do it under Knoppix 6, it says "Read-only file system" whenever I try to create a directory. It seemed to have did it automatically under 5.1.

    Something else I notice is when I install knoppix to a flash drive, and reboot, I have to recreate the mount points (/media/sda1 for example)

    Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks - Jason

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Knoppix 6 desktop does not use KDE it uses LXDE a different desktop with different properties.
    you will therefore need to write a bash script to modify your mount points, or install a different desktop

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I would just try the mount command from a shell. Open a shell and type man mount for details. It's been a long time since I was new to Knoppix and did it this way, but I was able to change the permission (of a FAT partition) this way when pretty new to Linux with no problem. However, if you are trying to write to NTFS please ignore this post, I want to have no part in anyone trying to write to NTFS with Knoppix.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: Mounting with Write Access

    Hello, I had recently the same issue,
    but I've right now found a solution:
    I'm running knoppix usualy withnout GUI, so I do type
    Code:
    knoppix 2
    at the isolinux boot screen.
    When I've used mount
    Code:
    /dev/ntfs_partition /tmp/some_dir
    It was completed succesfuly, but without write permisions.
    So, I've tried ntfsmount
    Code:
    /dev/ntfs_partition /tmp/some_dir
    and it returned error that "fuse" module is not loaded,
    after entering
    Code:
    modprobe fuse
    the command
    Code:
    ntfsmount /dev/ntfs_partition /tmp/some_dir
    completed succesfully with write privileges.
    I hope this will be useful for others too
    BlueJack


    Quote Originally Posted by ljwestfall3
    Hello everyone. In Knoppix 5.1, I had no trouble mounting flash drives and NTFS partitions with write access. Now when i try to do it under Knoppix 6, it says "Read-only file system" whenever I try to create a directory. It seemed to have did it automatically under 5.1.

    Something else I notice is when I install knoppix to a flash drive, and reboot, I have to recreate the mount points (/media/sda1 for example)

    Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks - Jason

Similar Threads

  1. Mounting and read/write access to my Vista hard drive
    By fergus in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 11:01 AM
  2. Mounting HD with Write permission using LIVE CD
    By emmbec in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 10:02 PM
  3. Mounting/Write-Permission problem.
    By Slay3r in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 11:45 PM
  4. Mounting for read/write at the begining
    By uw99er in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 05:00 PM
  5. Write Privileges and Mounting Devices- HOW???
    By Johnny3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 09:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD

$798.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00