Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Restore Permissions

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12

    Restore Permissions

    Greetings, I have knoppix 5.1 installed live cd like and have somehow changed permissions. I can't run any of the configure tools in the little penguin nor can I right click and mount a Hard Drive on the desktop. Error says need to be root. Consequently I can't log in as root can'
    t run a root shell, can't set a root password. I think I might have some how did it by intalling flash-plugin to usr/bin/firefox/plugins but am not sure. Either that or I'm the victim of someones evil plan. LOL!

    Is there an easy way to restore permissions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    As you've installed 5.1 as a live CD install then rebooting should regenerate the profile from /etc/skel

    If I remember there was a sudo type error in knoppix 5.1 that prevented programs running as root as sudo
    Open a terminal and type su
    then
    whoami
    (not sure if this will give you root access but no root password is set.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by hal8000
    As you've installed 5.1 as a live CD install then rebooting should regenerate the profile from /etc/skel

    If I remember there was a sudo type error in knoppix 5.1 that prevented programs running as root as sudo
    Open a terminal and type su
    then
    whoami
    (not sure if this will give you root access but no root password is set.

    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Similar Threads

  1. Help to restore files....
    By andyc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 06:46 AM
  2. How do I use Knoppix to restore Win 9X Hdd.
    By borgward in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 11:51 AM
  3. Restore lilo
    By jjbergdolt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 04:49 PM
  4. KDE permissions and user permissions!!!
    By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM
  5. Kernel restore?
    By Linuxshark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 12:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00