Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Microknoppix 6.1? USB boot w/ persistent image

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1

    Microknoppix 6.1? USB boot w/ persistent image

    Greetings -- I am somewhat new to Linux, so I apologize if my question comes across as simplistic.

    I want to use Knoppix as an alternate-boot OS on a company Windows machine, and I have successfully installed Knoppix 6.1 on a USB key. Each time I boot up, the system asks how much I want to set aside for my personal customization - which I presume is the same as using a persistent image.

    I specify a value, but then I never see the system write any of my customizations (e.g. screen resolution) to the USB key.

    When I boot form the USB key do I need to enter any command line options to properly create the space for the customized install and then save to this image?

    Thanks in advance.

    Richard in Pennsylvania, USA

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7
    same issue here (using knoppix adriane on SDHC card in my eee-pc 701 Asus netbook)

    what do you write by the way for this persistent data size? If I would like to get 200MB space, should I type :

    200 (--> this triggers a reaction : message in german, seems stucked)
    200MB (--> this allows to boot, but the same way as if I just pressed ENTER with nothing written : no persistence)

    something else?

    I guess the problem is to use an sdhc card in my netbook, probably knoppix has no superuser rights to write on it??

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    10

    no ability to get persitent image

    as rdcuff, is my problem
    Each time Knoppix 6.1 boots from USB key it is as a new live system (yes - safe and correct) but in old systems we had ability to same email etc settings to prevent lot of time wasted on each set up & when using same computer we had ability to save image to windows HD or floppy disc to use knoppix as a second system.

    How to save persistent image of Knoppix 6.1

    any help

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1
    Unbelievable!

    Six months and no help/solution on this issue!?!?!

    Sorry guys. I came here with the exact same question.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1

    Saving settings and data on USB stick

    When you first boot Knoppix 6 from USB, a screen tells you no file exists yet to retain your settings or files on the boot stick. It asks if you want to create an image file to do that, and if so to enter the size of the file.

    What the screen doesn't tell you is how to enter the size. The answer is, a number, with nothing before or after it. The script will create the file with that number of Megabytes.

    Also, you have to do it very quickly, or the script will jump ahead without capturing your input. Be ready to enter the file size and press enter as soon as the screen appears.

    You can then save bookmarks, install applications etc on your boot disk.

    I am finding Knoppix 6 works well on a eeepc 701

  6. #6
    Guest
    I have been struggling with this all day. This note seems to have the answer for me, however, doesn't quite seem to work this way for me. In particular, I got Knoppix 6.2 working on my pc from dvd. I then ran the 'install knoppix to flash disk' from the 'preferences' menu. This worked well and now I can boot/start the system without the dvd but with a usb key only. However, I am still trying to find a way to save my configuration setttings (so that my email and desktop etc is still in tact next time I start up Knoppix).

    As the note here says from peterworf, when I first boot knoppix from the usb I should have been prompted to create an image file - I do not believe I was prompted for this. So, what can I do at this point. Thank you for any assistance/advice you can provide. Thank you.

    Moderators note: Unfortunately, due to a log processing error, the account that this post was made from was deleted. It now shows as posted by "Guest". The original poster, "jaxson" is being contacted and hopefully will rejoin us, but unfortunately this post is orphaned. It remains posted and hopefully someone can assist jaxson.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tragic City, Michigan
    Posts
    13
    As peterwurf mentioned in his post that the boot screen offers a place to enter the persistent overlay
    size and just put in a number i.e. 1024 without a suffix i.e. MB. You have to enter the number rather
    quickly or the boot screen progresses. Took me a few tries to get it figured out also.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot stops at 'root@Microknoppix'
    By penticton in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 05:03 PM
  2. Persistent Image Question
    By Chris_K in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
  3. Unattended mount of persistent image at boot time
    By omaha64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 10:58 AM
  4. Persistent Disk Image
    By rspiteri in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 01:54 PM
  5. Persistent Root FS image
    By ilovelinux98 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00