Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: saving .txt, .obt. etc documents

  1. #1

    saving .txt, .obt. etc documents

    I am using knoppix 6.0 and am trying to save documents to a hard drive in my computer. The hard drives are linux formatted and are mounted when the desktop comes up so I can open them and read files in them. Whenever I try to save a document it will not write to the hard drive directory I designate but gives an error that access to the directory is not permitted. I have checked the permissions that show root has full permission to read-write. Does anyone know how to correct this problem. Your help is appreciated in advance.[/list]

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: saving .txt, .obt. etc documents

    Quote Originally Posted by derwalroszsagt
    .....I have checked the permissions that show root has full permission to read-write. Does anyone know how to correct this problem. ....
    I believe this is not a permission issue but rather a mounting issue. Knoppix by default will open files "read only". There used to be a menu item to mount a partition as r/w, but that may have vanished or be in hiding with the version 6.x releases. You should be able to mount the partition as r/w with the mount command fron a shell though. See man mount for details.

  3. #3
    Thanks for the reply. I think I tried to mount it but got the error message that it was already mounted. Will try it again.

  4. #4
    Thanks for the reply. I think I tried to mount it but got the error message that it was already mounted. Will try it again.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by derwalroszsagt
    Thanks for the reply. I think I tried to mount it but got the error message that it was already mounted. Will try it again.
    Yea, it's already mounted, but it is mounted read only. Once again, I suggest that you read man mount, it explains how to remount as read-write.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    I tried it without effect. Get the error that only root could do the mount. Kind of expected that as the disk is write only. Tried a sudo mount also and got the same error. In the same vein i had another problem copying a text document to the floppy by using the desktop. In fact the desktop would not read a floppy. I went to /media/floppy and was able to ls the floppy and open documents that way. Was also able to cp to the floppy from the desktop using the terminal program. I think the problem is that on the desktop the floppy is called "floppy drive" and in media it is called "floppy" and the program can't find the floppy on the desktop. Don't know how to fix it as I can't change anything on the disk. It all worked ok on Ver 5.3.x and KDE but Ver 6.0.x seems to be screwed up.

  7. #7
    Continued fooling around with it. Finally did a mkdir h** in /media and was able to mount -arw hdc on h**. This still did not let me save a leafpad file to h**/** (error can not open file). Saved to Desktop and then used the xterm to cp from Desktop to the hdc/** file I wanted. PITA but it worked. I think that Knoppix 6.0.x needs some work.

Similar Threads

  1. Help with Knoppix 5.1 and saving documents from HD
    By johnnyseriuss in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
  2. Cannot find my documents
    By keebz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
  3. Logged onto Knoppix & can't get documents to my ext HD
    By triviaace11 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 05:36 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 02:16 AM
  5. Opening file documents
    By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 07:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



New Cisco SFP-10G-AOC3M= Compatible 10G SFP+ 3m (10 ft.) Active Optical Cable picture

New Cisco SFP-10G-AOC3M= Compatible 10G SFP+ 3m (10 ft.) Active Optical Cable

$49.95



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99