-
Is it possible to use inetd.conf w/o tcpd?
Hi,
I can use my Knoppix live cd for telnetting, ftp'ing to localhost w/o problems using the default
inetd.conf file which contains lines like:
Code:
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
However when I disable tcpd and try to use the barebone telnetd, ftpd, etc. using the
following configuration I cannot telnet or ftp to myself:
Code:
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
I rerun the inetd and then try to telnet to receive this response:
Code:
knoppix@ttyp4[knoppix]$ telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to Knoppix.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
As you see, when I'm not using tcpd it just automatically disables telnet, ftp, etc. I've tried it
hosts.allow, hosts.deny, I've also tried it w/o these files. Nothing changes.
Is it impossible to use inetd without tcpd on Knoppix? If it is possible, how?
Thanks in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Is it possible to use inetd.conf w/o tcpd?
--Why would you want to? Tcpd wrapping results in better security. Are you trying to run ftp over UDP or something?
--Also, you really should be using ssh instead of telnet (ssh -2 -c blowfish is the fastest.)
--Check out this Google cache "What inetd is and how to secure it":
http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
--Also check here, it shows you how to run a standalone service:
http://www.linuxman.com.cy/rute/node32.html

Originally Posted by
FZ
Hi,
I can use my Knoppix live cd for telnetting, ftp'ing to localhost w/o problems using the default
inetd.conf file which contains lines like:
Code:
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
However when I disable tcpd and try to use the barebone telnetd, ftpd, etc. using the
following configuration I cannot telnet or ftp to myself:
Code:
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
I rerun the inetd and then try to telnet to receive this response:
Code:
knoppix@ttyp4[knoppix]$ telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to Knoppix.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
As you see, when I'm not using tcpd it just automatically disables telnet, ftp, etc. I've tried it
hosts.allow, hosts.deny, I've also tried it w/o these files. Nothing changes.
Is it impossible to use inetd without tcpd on Knoppix? If it is possible, how?
Thanks in advance.
-
Re: Is it possible to use inetd.conf w/o tcpd?

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
Thanks for the info. I've found out the answer, it seems like I've just forgotten to add the last field on both of the lines, they must look like that:
Code:
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd in.telnetd
Of course I know this a Bad Thing
This was just about a demonstration and I needed to show people how inetd worked without tcpd.
Similar Threads
-
By Legithrandil in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
-
By activeco in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-11-2003, 05:16 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 12-05-2003, 05:03 PM
-
By FZ in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-05-2003, 08:18 PM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50