I have run Knoppix 6.0 and 6.1 trying to get a mobile broadband connection with Huawei e220.
A while after initiating the applet I get the opportunity to supply my password. When this is done (the Huawei starts blinking blue) the manager seems to continue trying to connect to the ISP. Mostly it stops after a while freezing the computer forcing me to pull the plug to get out of the situation. Sometimes, however it really does connect. In such cases everything goes OK. It is however most annoying. In a hurry it is never possible to rely on getting a connection established.
I have had the same experience with Ubuntu 9.04 and with an installation of SUSE 11.1.
I have earlier run Knoppix 5.3 and 5.31 using wvdial with Huawei e220. I have very seldom experienced any problem connecting that way.
In the Network Manager I have also tried various combinations and none of the protocols (eg. PAP, CHAP) provided.
I am grateful for any hints.
Otherwise I hope this will be fixed in future releases.

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC
$750.00
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99
POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS
$179.85
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00
1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$200.00
Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$199.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99