Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: The dreaded chroot !

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2

    The dreaded chroot !

    Hi All

    I am a linux newbie , i decided to give it a try when some malware hijacked my windows even after being scanned twice . It downloaded and f... me in real time . So I have decided no more and thats how I would up here .

    I am a linux newbie so all I ask is that if you have a suggestion please provide a concise code example or I will be totally lost at the slightest assumption .

    I ahve scouered the internet looking for an answer and can't seem to find anything useful even through posts of people that have had exactly the same problem.

    Whenever I try to chrooot into the directory I want to use for remastering the error is cannot run bin/bash " O suchFi8le or Directory"

    Checklist of what I did .

    mounter the drive as root and set rw permissions
    copies the Knoppix cd as root
    checked to make sure all copies directories had the appropriate permissions for gid and uid .

    I know that when the chroot command is executed , after specifying the new root directory you can run a command otherwise the system defaults to bin/bash . I am pretty sure all necessary directories and libs are present since everything off the cd has been copied .

    I kind of like the idea of remastering cuz I think its a great way to learn about the internals of linux . Just wish I was getting off to a better start .

    All help mych appreciated .

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2

    Figured it out

    Hi

    Ok for all that are stumped by this one .

    I reformatted the drive from FAT 32 to ext 3 . I don't get the NO Such file or directory error anymore but noy I am getting a dev null permission denied error . However this prob is fully documented and the asnwer to it is in the forum already as well as other places .

    Cause

    Linux doesn't understand how to preserve ownership of files on a Fat32 drive and I have a sneaky suspicion that chroot doesn't support Fat32 either. I am not about to go checking the other fat partions . I reformatted to Ext 3 and now I am ok again ...welll that is until the next stumper !

    lesson learned : Windows hated Linux not necessarily the other way around !

Similar Threads

  1. KDE Panel from chroot
    By alberto.orlandini in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 12:49 PM
  2. chroot in source
    By Sephiroth? in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 12:55 AM
  3. Remaster without chroot ?
    By spyhome in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 02:12 PM
  4. chroot help
    By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
  5. To chroot or not to chroot
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573) picture

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)

$149.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount - Excellent Condition picture

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount - Excellent Condition

$600.00



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99