-
Unable to mount Vista HD, Help!
I have Dell Inspiron laptop running Vista 32 that crashed about 2 months ago. I'm not sure why it crashed, but it gave me trouble after trying to install a printer driver. Then one day it ran a chkdsk on startup, and never booted again. It won't boot in safe mode, and none of the startup repair or system restore points worked. All I have left is restore factory settings, but I'm trying to extract my data before I do that.
I'm a smart girl, but I don't do code. I'm learning what I can, but the Knoppix Live 6 comes up with an error, "unable to mount device", when I try to access my HD files (wanting to copy them to another hard drive). I've looked up trying to force it to mount the drive, which brings me into using code... I've tried:
su root
mount/dev/sda3
and I'm told no such file or directory exists. (Same with sda1, but it looks like my drive comes up as sda3). I've tried:
su root
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 -o force (and -0 and -O, since I couldn't tell what that was)
and a help tutorial of commands appears.
So, since my brain has absorbed as much as I can force it to at the moment, could someone please tell me, 1) am I doing something wrong? 2)is there something else (like Ultimate Boot CD, which I've created but don't know how to use) I should try? or 3) can I be put out of my misery and accept that I've done everything I can and I should just reformat the drive? (and if so, what should I use for file recovery after the drive has been reformatted?) Thank you for easing my tired, troubled mind, I hope!
Bridget
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I don't know the full answer for your problem, and unfortunately sometimes Windows just mucks up a partition so much that Knoppix can't mount it.
A few concepts that you should be aware of though: sda, sdb, sdc and so on are drives, with sda being the first SATA drive.
sda1, sda2, sda3, and sda4 are parimary partitions on the sta drive, and sta5 on up are logical drives on an extended partition if one exists. Of course, you mount partitions, not drives. I'm hard pressed to know why you would have sta3 and not sta1. Not saying that you can't, just doesn't seem right.
Occasionally Windows messes up it's own partition table, and can't find the partitions. In this case Knoppix can recover the partition table with either the gpart or testdisk commands. Type man gpart or man testdisk at a shell prompt for details. gpart takes a little more thinking to use, as there are more command line switches, but I consider it far better and safer than testdisk, which gives up a lot of control.
Similar Threads
-
By kkomw in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
-
By Sandeep in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-24-2007, 09:13 AM
-
Replies: 24
Last Post: 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
-
Replies: 13
Last Post: 05-09-2005, 04:19 PM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU
$525.00

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC
$750.00

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS
$179.85