-
Junior Member
registered user
Install GNOME 2.28 (and network-manager) on Knoppix 5.3.1DVD
Hello. I installed KNOPPIX 5.3.1 DVD on HDD.
Now I want to install network-manager (gnome) but i can't!
I tryed with apt-get, with synaptic, with kpackage, it does not work. I also tryed to install the dependencies, manually, one by one..
It always sems to stop at python or some packages from python. I tryed to remove them manually (because the package was always stopping at their removal), but i encountered other problems. I tryed to upgrade python, remove python packages (doh!), tryed to remove some x-window-managers, and session managers, nothing seems to work. Because all the problems, I had to install it on WMvare, and I made a copy of the knoppix newly installed then I replace it after I get an error. I'm doing that for a while, i think i copied the image files in WMvare for at least 50 times.
Please, if someone can help me, please do!
#edit: I also tryed with the hint to use only unstable sources. Tryed to install gnome, again, same result!
-
Junior Member
registered user
I managed to install GNOME on knoppix DVD 5.3.1 installed on HD
Unfortunately It needs a newer kernel. Still, it works, but udev gives one error, but it works.
I have written how i did for the newbies like me... This is now, maybe it will change, but you have one start...
I assume that you already have internet connection
and all comands must be run as root 
The libxklavier12_3.9-1_i386.deb and libgnomekbd3_2.26.0-1_i386.deb will be downloaded from debian squeeze (testing) because are missing (for now) in unstable i386
------
Code:
vi /etc/apt/sources.list
and comment all lines except unstable ones
Code:
vi /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
and modify default desktop-in gnome (from kde)
with kuser make knoppix user member of netdev (or use command line) (to be able to use network-manager)
reboot
You have gnome now, but not 2.28
Then i removed the packages that stopped the installation in my previously attempts (with an error) when dpkg tryed to remove them.
Code:
apt-get remove python-wxgtk2.* python-vtk python-wxversion pioneers* libqt4-dev libquantlib-0.8.1 emacs* konqueror*
UpdateThen I installed some packages that also stopped the installation with an error on my previous attempts when dpkg tryed to install them.
Code:
apt-get install libcucul0 libsasl2-2 libauthen-sasl-perl libjack-dev libquantlib-0.9.7 bogofilter
Then i started to install gnome and his dependencies
Code:
apt-get install dpkg
apt-get install libgnomekbd-common
apt-get install libgtk2.0-0
Now download and install the missing "testing" packages from squeeze.Install the rest...
Code:
apt-get install gnome-screensaver
apt-get install xorg
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-all
apt-get install gnome
Change default windowmanager and sesionmanager
Code:
update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
and choose metacity
Code:
update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
and choose gnome-session (auto)
Then I made some modification because some programs not worked (network-manager)
Code:
sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor
Then make network-manager able to manage your connections
Code:
vi /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
and change
Code:
[ifupdown]
managed=true
(optional)
Restart it with
Code:
sudo killall nm-system-settings
Reboot
Now it supposed to work
Similar Threads
-
By labero in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-24-2009, 08:53 PM
-
By knppi in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-08-2009, 12:40 AM
-
By joeschmoe40 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-25-2008, 02:33 PM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-15-2006, 05:35 PM
-
By mail2ian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99