Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Persistent log files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2

    Persistent log files

    I installed Knoppix 6.2 fine on a 2Gb USB stick and created a persistent image on the free space. I installed clamav and clamtk and everything works fine (in my limited test) from the persistent image except for log files. When I boot and try to update the AV signatures it complains that /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log cannot be appended. /var/log/clamav doesn't exist and if I create the directory and log file it works, until I reboot and then it's gone again. How do I create persistent log files? Is it different from persistent applications?

    Thanks,
    Ken

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2

    Kludge Fix

    OK, since I didn't get a response I made my own kludge for now.

    The persistent image works fine, and I installed ClamAV, but as I indicated freshclam fails due to the log file /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log disappearing after reboot.

    So I did the following:
    1) Created the path/file: /etc/clamav/log/freshclam.log
    2) Change owner and group to clamav (e.g. #chown clamav:clamav freshclam.log)
    3) Edited /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf to point to the new log file.

    Since /etc is persistent my freshclam.log file is too. It works, but not sure if this is the way to go in the long run.

    Ken

Similar Threads

  1. persistent file
    By itachisxeyes in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
  2. Persistent Home
    By staran in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
  3. Persistent problems
    By knoppixknut in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 07:44 PM
  4. What can you do with persistent home
    By beausimon in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 03:40 PM
  5. persistent question
    By nodoz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 06:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On picture

Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On

$25.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read picture

Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read

$329.95



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord  picture

Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord

$23.99



Vintage Atari 400/800 - Ms PacMan Galaxian BASIC Atari Writer Carts + Joystick  picture

Vintage Atari 400/800 - Ms PacMan Galaxian BASIC Atari Writer Carts + Joystick

$38.88



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari SX212 Modem for IBM-Compatible Systems w/ Power Adapter & Manuals NOS picture

Atari SX212 Modem for IBM-Compatible Systems w/ Power Adapter & Manuals NOS

$125.00