for the interested, I've been able to setup gdm and disabled autologin turning it into a real multi-user system![]()
I've also altered other stuff so I can't post the patches but what I did was:
install gdm
edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfigure:
I changed
toCode:... fi } start_sys(){ ...
and when you scroll a bit lower you'll seeCode:... fi } start_gdm(){ addtask "gdm"; addprogress "Starting gnome display manager" mkdir /var/log/gdm /etc/init.d/gdm start > /dev/tty$LOG_CONSOLE } start_sys(){ ...
and I added after thatCode:# Start udev now, /dev will be remounted checkbootparam "noudev" || start_udev # Send logging messages to /dev/tty$LOG_CONSOLE. Since we need a socket # in /dev, this requires udev to run earlier. start_log
Then in Inittab I have changed runlevel to 3, you already did this and I commented outCode:# Attempts to use gdm :p start_gdm
I don't remember why btwCode:# 1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login < /dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1 #1:12345:respawn:/bin/login </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1 #2:12345:respawn:/bin/login </dev/tty2 >/dev/tty2 2>&1 #3:12345:respawn:/bin/login </dev/tty3 >/dev/tty3 2>&1 #4:12345:respawn:/bin/login </dev/tty4 >/dev/tty4 2>&1
and uncommented the getty lines
That should be all, if I forgot something don't shoot meCode:1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1 2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2 3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3 4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4 5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5 6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6![]()
This could work.
Edit /etc/inittab:
Install a login manager:Code:# 1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login < /dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1 #1:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1 #2:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty2 >/dev/tty2 2>&1 #3:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty3 >/dev/tty3 2>&1 #4:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty4 >/dev/tty4 2>&1 1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1 2:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2 3:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3 4:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4 5:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5 6:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6 # X mode #x0:5:wait:sleep 2 #x1:5:respawn:/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx start
sudo apt-get install xdm
Edit /etc/rc.local and add this at the end before exit:
/etc/init.d/xdm start
That is the exact question I've been looking into.how can one get at least it to ask for root password?I gather for reasons, probably beyond me, that Knoppix is not the right distribution for use for running desktop applications on a continual basis. Strangely enough, while ubuntu 11.04 worked find on my desktop, ubuntu 11.10 does not and neither does mint 12. (Both run fine on my laptop) I'm not sure I'm going to solve the issues on my desktop soon, so I I'm looking into knoppix which runs on not only my laptop and desktop, but also runs on an old pre wiindows XP PC that doesn't book with windows anymore.. I'm only one person, so I don't care about multi-user capabilities. I was thinking about Lubuntu (notice the L), but I see that the standard apps - Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP have been replaced by other lighter weight alternates. I just found the debian distro and it might be a possibility - would be interesting to see if latest version runs on my desktop. Seems like I saw someplace that straight debian was not the best for novices, but don't see anything about that in the writeup so maybe that's not true. http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.c...vd-set-pc.htmlI'm not going to address using the Knoppix distro as your desktop system
Knoppix is very good for running desktop applications, and in this thread there are presented several alternatives for changing default startup/login settings. Including setting the root password. Personally, I have tended to avoid setting this because there were quite a few problems with it in some contexts in pre-6.0 Knoppix, but it seems to be less problematic now.
Usually, it is best to try the latest distro to avoid hardware problems - but beware that new bugs/incompatibilities may from time to time be introduced with new releases.
Hi Zgregoryg,
Knoppix was my first adventure into linux when the first live cd was created. I have used various distros since and have loved them all. I have just installed 7.2 on my hard disk to see what it can do so thank you for that it works treat.

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$165.58
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS
$15.00
Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$166.24
Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95