Quote Originally Posted by mecho
....
Now I tried both 6.2 and 6.2.1 and for me 6.2 runs smoother then 6.2.1. THere is a Intel video driver problem in 6.2.1. For some reason the new Intel driver that is included in 6.2.1 does not work with 855GME chip that I have in my laptop and the mkxorgconfig which is included in 6.2.1 does not even try to use vesa as a fallback it just locks.
I had to copy mkxorgconfig from 6.2 to make 6.2.1 work properly with vesa driver. There is one more thing in 6.2.1 - Network Manager does not work properly after logout-login. It loses connection or does not connect at all.
....
Interesting. I noted X-related bugs being introduced from 6.0.1 to 6.2, now you find new creeping in from 6.2 to 6.2.1.
It could make a case for remastering, especially if most could be put into a script.

BTW, I'm writing this running 6.2.1 with a wlan connection - but I had to use Windows to start the wlan, then (rebooting) warm-starting Knoppix..
It should be possible to start it in Knoppix, too.

It is kind of sad that Knoppix used to be in a class of its own with hardware detection/initialization, but now other distros seem to work better out of the box with several hardware configurations. I wonder if this would have been better with more of a community effort.