-

Originally Posted by
inkyfingers
Problem Solved,
Naive attempt at explanation follows.
Troblesome Machine Spec.
1997 Packard Bell iconnect 1225
WinME installed with "SmartRestore" feature presumably supported from hidden parition1.
Celeron 700MHz RAM 128MB
HD 10 GB (8 GB available to Windows)
DOS fdisk Display Partition Information
PartitionStatus Type Mbytes System Usage
1 non-DOS 1318 13%
C: 2 A Pri DOS 8456 FAT32 86%
Problem solved using Knoppix Linux 6.0.1. Original target to recover data from broken machine achieved. Thanks for the help.
And thanks to the developpers of Knoppix. It is remarkable that Knoppix runs so well on a machine of this vintage.
I think that running the Live CD on this machine is probably not optimal because, left to its own devices, Knoppix tried to use resourses out of partiton 1 which is full to the brim with M$.setup files, unknown, not FAT32, format and did not run out of partion 2 where there was loads of space.
I was reluctant to repartition this borrowed machine.
At first the cheat code tohd=/dev/hda2, simply into "unprepared Windows space" had seemed to fail.
Moreover, while I was uncertain I had achieved an effective install, the cheat code fromhd=/dev/hda2, was missed so that knoppix ran as a Live CD without my understanding.
I found I had to retry the process several times before I achieved both the copying of Knoppix files to hard drive, and the creation of space for knoppix-data.img.
However once done knoppix coexists just fine ... for a newbie.
Thanks
I've experienced some of the files copied onto the hard drive going missing with Knoppix 5; the system would automatically repair that when booting from the CD with the fromhd= cheatcode. Nice, but mysterious, as there was no reason I know for the loss (and it wasn't an NTFS partition, so the known problems with that version's NTFS access.
Similar Threads
-
By silver in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-30-2007, 01:48 AM
-
By wolfchri in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-06-2005, 04:17 PM
-
By probono in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:55 AM
-
By stukennedyuk in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-13-2004, 09:50 PM
-
By Jux in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00

TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board
$345.00

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00