Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix Terminal Server Works.....How ???

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    40

    Knoppix Terminal Server Works.....How ???

    I am confused and could use some help to clear up my confusion.

    I have a network that constitues a DSL Modem-router that provides Gateway and DHCP services for the PCs in my home. One of those PC is "My LiveCD Knoppix machine" and it has ONLY one LAN card.

    Everything I've read says that I need 2 LAN cards if I want to run a LTSP type environment. 1 card connected LAN for Gateway services and a 2nd card for DHCP and managing the network of PXE PC's that will get its OS from Knoppix.

    I think I am clear of the networking components and how this works from a 2 LAN cards standpoint.

    I've just discovered something that I did NOT know (an accident). While running the LiveCD, I started Knoppix "Terminal Server", even though I have only a one LAN card in the PC. I followed some prompts, and when complete. I was back at Knoppix desktop. No new icons...nothing....no indicators.

    I just happened to boot a 2nd PC that I was repairing, walked away, and when I came back it has a Knoppix desktop and it is useable. WOW. I also found that I could PXE boot another PC too on the local LAN that my Knoppix machine is connected. WOW!


    Now, here's my confusion over how this is working from a networking point of view.
    I have only ONE LAN card in my Knoppix PC. It is on the same LAN as all of my PCs. LiveCD gets it networking ID from the DHCP services in my DSL modem-router when LiveCD booted. My network is managed by my DSL modem router. I am lost for an explanation.

    1. What or HOW did Knoppix add functionality to my network so that NOW, I have a network so that PXE request will get a booted Knoppix-PXE PC from the LIveCD on my Knoppix "Terminal Server"???

    2. How did this occur with everyone on the same LAN and no way to update or change the DSL modem which does DHCP to all my PCs on my LAN???

    Help if you understand how this occurred. and thanks in advance for any explanation.
    Last edited by GCMartin; 05-07-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Lot of 10 ARISTA SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP LC Connector Optic Transceiver Module picture

Lot of 10 ARISTA SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP LC Connector Optic Transceiver Module

$60.72