-

Originally Posted by
utu
@mecho, re your post #27
Is there any way to know how many writes have been made
to a flash card? Or how many are left?
FWIW - I found an article online a while back (ZDnet) that referenced a study of flash memory durability, stating that "cheap" flash didn't do well, but "name brand" device wear not only exceeded the usual life expectancy (100,000 cycles), but in fact showed no signs of wear - even far beyond that point. Those quality devices have built in anti-wear write algorithms and will seemingly live forever (almost.)
Cheers!
Krishna
-
Senior Member
registered user
@krishna
Hi, Krishna.
I was hoping one of you smart folks knew some magic command
that would tell me how many write cycles I have left before
my SD Card self-destructs.
On HDD's there is some 'smart' logic that gives you some idea
of the health of an HDD. I was hoping something like that
applies to flash as well.
My SD Cards cost $7 each, so it's not a crucial item. I just
like to be prepared.
mecho is working hard to conserve his write cycles. That makes
me think perhaps I should worry too.
-
Senior Member
registered user
There is no way really to find out the write cycles of usb flash drives. For this to be possibles they should have some kind of s.m.a.r.t capability built in similar to the hard drives. As Krishna said there are flash drives that can withstand even more then 1 000 000 cycles, but I doubt mine is one of them
. There 2 types of flash memory MLC and SLC - SLC being much faster and having longer life, but more expensive. I can not find what type I have
And because my laptop has very bad hard drive I use flash 100% of the time - my OS is on it, and I use the HDD only for back-ups and permanent storage
-
@ utu:
Hopefully you got a name-brand; AFAIK, they put their effort into making the SMARTs on the flash keep the flash chip going - and going, and going...
Cheers!
Krishna
Last edited by krishna.murphy; 08-10-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Reason: clarity
-
Senior Member
registered user
The attachment, if all goes well shows SanDisk examples
of Flash Card lifetimes in decades, centuries and millenia.
Cheers
-
Senior Member
registered user
@mecho & krishna
Oops, my bad.
File too big for upload.
Go to SanDisk site and look for WPaperWearLevel1.0-1.pdf.
This is a 138k pdf file.
Some neat equations, too.
Last edited by utu; 08-10-2010 at 03:34 PM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
19.5k is a pretty stingy limit for pdf files.
Who do we know in management we can complain to?
Last edited by utu; 08-10-2010 at 03:44 PM.
-

Originally Posted by
utu
@mecho & krishna
Oops, my bad.
File too big for upload.
Go to SanDisk site and look for WPaperWearLevel1.0-1.pdf.
This is a 138k pdf file.
Some neat equations, too.
I don't see anything with that name, anywhere on the web (except in this post!) Perhaps you could send the link.
Cheers!
Krishna 
Edit/p.s. I eventually found it here, for the reading pleasure of all.
Last edited by krishna.murphy; 08-10-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Reason: More data
-
Senior Member
registered user
Enter 'sandisk wear level' in google search box.
It's the first return entry.
URL is too long to contend with.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99