-
Senior Member
registered user
Docs:HDInstallChangeUserHowto
I just went through the docs on the above subject. My question is-why go through that process when it is a hard disk install? You can always create a new user or delete a user from a hard disk install via adduser or deluser or the kuser manager.
Seems an overkill?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Docs:HDInstallChangeUserHowto

Originally Posted by
bongski55
I just went through the docs on the above subject. My question is-why go through that process when it is a hard disk install? You can always create a new user or delete a user from a hard disk install via adduser or deluser or the kuser manager.
Seems an overkill?
The point was it always seemed strange to me that when Christian wrote the script he could manage to get the system on the disk but left you with the user knoppix. It bothered me so much that I set about seeing how hard it would be to have your own user at install and once I had it figured out I thought someone else might want to try it so I wrote it down. That's why it is there.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can I also write a Docs topic? How?
I see some Docs questions that have "A
??" in it and happen to know some remedy based on my experience.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Just use the edit this page at the bottom and you can edit the page actually anyone can edit the pages that's what the wiki is for. You should look at the examples it is a little strange in formating it is not like html it takes a little getting used to.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Docs:HDInstallChangeUserHowto

Originally Posted by
bongski55
I just went through the docs on the above subject. My question is-why go through that process when it is a hard disk install? You can always create a new user or delete a user from a hard disk install via adduser or deluser or the kuser manager.
Seems an overkill?
I wanted to know the same thing the first time I saw Stephen mention it. I thought "huh?" I even asked why adduser wasn't working. lol That was before I understood what he was talking about. I have been hacking the script on subsequent installs since then. Be careful tho- Somehow I borked the script once and basically locked myself out. DOH! 
Cool hack Stephen.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Stephen,
How have you gone about creating additional users after the hdinstall? Knoppix does a pretty poor job at this. I have no problems creating a new user, but after I do this I find that there has been no home directory for that user created under /home. It's easy enough to fix this, but errors still seem to persist - espcially regarding permisions. I have essentially gotten it to work, but I was wondering if there is a method that you are others have used to streamline this.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
aay
Stephen,
How have you gone about creating additional users after the hdinstall? Knoppix does a pretty poor job at this. I have no problems creating a new user, but after I do this I find that there has been no home directory for that user created under /home. It's easy enough to fix this, but errors still seem to persist - espcially regarding permisions. I have essentially gotten it to work, but I was wondering if there is a method that you are others have used to streamline this.
I used to create my own user with no problems using adduser. Which command do you use adduser or useradd IIRC you have to tell useradd to make the directory and copy the skel files whereas adduser does this automatically.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Stephen,
You were right on the mark. I was using useradd. adduser works great. Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By ibrewale in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 02:22 AM
-
By jMon54 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 04:03 PM
-
By liaoch in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-02-2004, 10:43 PM
-
By dd74 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-18-2004, 08:40 AM
-
By eadz in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$20.70

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99