The easiest solution is to append the command in /etc/rc.local - it will load it, but it's not the right one
Hello,
I'm booting "knoppix desktop=kde" on a Dell Dimension 2350, and the ethernet module doesn't load at boot time. I can connect afterwards by loading the module manually
# modprobe b44
# dhclient eth0
Is there a way to make this b44 module load automatically at boot time? (A boot parameter, I'm hoping?)
Thanks,
Paul
# lspci -v
==cut==
01:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Device 0127
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
Memory at ed000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 18000000 [disabled] [size=16K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Managemetn version 2
Kernel modules: b44
The easiest solution is to append the command in /etc/rc.local - it will load it, but it's not the right one
There is a file /etc/modules. Maybe you can add a line with the name of your module so that it is loaded at boot time.
I can see now that b44 driver is blacklisted by default. You can edit /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-common.conf and put # in front of b44.
This should do the trick, if not use the rc.local
And I just notice now the response from klaus2008. You can add b44 in /etc/modules, but still the first thing I would try is to unblacklist it
Last edited by mecho; 06-27-2010 at 09:53 AM.

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99
Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile
$35.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99