Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: How do I boot commands?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    mecho

    There is another way to avoid the black screen of death with the latest intel driver. Use of the following bootcode make the driver work without the need for vesa or fbdev.

    i915.modeset=1

    This alters the size of the framebuffer used when in terminal mode. If you prefer the old VGA like display then use the following bootcode as well:

    video=640x480
    I have the same issue where I get past run level 5, a half screen of something flashes on the screen twice & then the screen goes black. For about 10-15 more seconds you can hear the hard drive doing something & then silence. I have a Gateway NV79 laptop, according to the documentation the chipset would be: Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset.

    Do you think the i915.modeset=1 setting would work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by KinVA View Post
    I have the same issue where I get past run level 5, a half screen of something flashes on the screen twice & then the screen goes black. For about 10-15 more seconds you can hear the hard drive doing something & then silence. I have a Gateway NV79 laptop, according to the documentation the chipset would be: Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset.

    Do you think the i915.modeset=1 setting would work?
    Having had a quick look at the Intel website I note the Mobile Series 5 chipset is NOT covered by the intel driver. It lists Mobile series 4 so maybe it is just a forgotten update.

    I would certainly try i915.modeset=1 if it was me. If it doesn't work then try a fall back to Mecho's original suggestion.

    Please let us know whether it works or not.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    It's certainly worth trying! The beauty of the LiveCD approach is that you can't really "mess up" your operating system - it's a CD! So, press on, let us know how it goes, and have fun!

    Cheers!
    Krishna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$699.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99