Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Text whizzing by too fast

  1. #31
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @klauss2008

    I've spent a little time with the I/O Redirection reference, for which thanks.
    This is a marvelous goldmine of ideas; not mere definitions.
    Not a quick read.

  2. #32
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @klauss2008 re your post #28

    You did not get a syntax error, and you got the file established.
    I'm cut-and-pasting your exact command, into /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx.
    Seems like we should get the same result.

    Is yours a live system or normal Debian installed?
    I know some here are poor-man installs.

  3. #33
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @mecho & kl522, in regard to posts #8 & #11

    In reviewing this thread, I believe I did not follow-up enough
    on your references to the relevancy of /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf.

    I've seen what I want in vt #12 in real-time;
    I just need a way to capture it for non-real-time study.

    Perhaps It is possible to alter this .conf file to get
    vt #12 logged to something like /var/log/vt12.log.

    This may be a shorter learning curve than trying to tap into
    init and/or minirt.gz for some elegant I/O re-direction.

  4. #34
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Just comment out the line in /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf and make a new line like this:
    # *.*;auth,authpriv.none /dev/tty12
    *.*;auth,authpriv.none -/var/log/syslog

    This should send the syslog where it supposed to be.

  5. #35
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @mecho

    Outstanding.

    Did what you said in post #34 & it works just as I wanted in post #1.

    Adding this to my System Tools/Log File Viewer menu collection along with
    .xsession-errors.

    Thanks a heap.

  6. #36
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    As a postscript.

    My syslog now gives a nice current-session-only, scrolllable record of about one minute, 28 seconds
    of the boot-up process, which if viewed with Log File Viewer, continues on in real time.
    Last edited by utu; 08-01-2010 at 08:01 PM.

  7. #37
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    @utu re your post #32

    My system is not an HD install. I copied the Knoppix directory to my hard disk and use a persistent image.

  8. #38
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @klaus2008 re post #37

    I'm still baffled why I get a syntax error.
    I do appreciate all you help.
    The references are excellent, but it'll take some time to absorb all that.

  9. #39
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Both /tmp and /var/log are mounted using tmpfs, so it really makes no difference at all where syslog is going to be routed to. /var/log only exist in RAM

  10. #40
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @mecho

    So, where do I look for dmesg or kern.log?
    I know how to get dmesg from the command line,
    but it used to be in /var/log as well.

    Why have all the logs been removed, anyway?
    I originally thought maybe they'd all been turned-off at one place. You knew better.

    Seems like all the XID trash in .xsession-errors, and the db for urlclassifiers amounts
    to a lot more Mb than these missing logs.

    Also, you are mentioned in another thread about Log File Viewer.
    Hope you don't mind.
    Last edited by utu; 08-02-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620 picture

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620

$325.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00