Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Swap File Question???

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2

    Swap File Question???

    Hello

    I've been researching Knoppix and have a question about the swap file.

    Information seems to be sketchy and I can't quite figure out what the deal is with Knoppix and the swap. I sometimes use computers that don't belong to me. I don't want to leave a trace of any of my info in a swap file. As best as I can understand from reading, if a version of Linux is installed on the hard drive (of said computer) Knoppix will use the dedicated swap file space for scratch if it needs it. However it doesn't do this with other OS's like Mac OSX or Windows.

    1. Is this correct?

    2. If it is correct is there a way to disable it through CL or in a custom roll?

    Thank you for your help
    The Glump

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by theglump View Post
    Knoppix will use the dedicated swap file space for scratch if it needs it. However it doesn't do this with other OS's like Mac OSX or Windows.

    1. Is this correct?
    Yes.

    2. If it is correct is there a way to disable it through CL or in a custom roll?
    Use the knoppix cheatcode 'noswap'. Google around to find how to use a cheatcode.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2
    Would it be possible for someone in the know to tell users how to make a swap file on a Windows or Mac OSX box if they want to use one? Like I said above I don't want to use it but someone doing research that does want to may run across this thread because of the keywords in it. And I wouldn't mind knowing just in case. All I can find is what seems to be an old command of mkdosswapfile. I doubt that will work with newer versions of Windows. Thanks The Glump

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The "newer versions of Windows" use a NTFS partition by default. I would absolutely never let Knoppix write to one of my NTFS partitions, and advise others to avoid trying to do this also. The risk of completely corrupting the partition is just too great.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573) picture

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)

$149.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$278.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99