-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: KnopBase(morphix?) idea

Originally Posted by
dvessey
Have to say I like that name

so Alex is making this base distro, I have no idea how to go about making a second track with apps.... but anyway. Why not make it an option to have the second track on another CD? like, KnopBase boots and loads itself onto the ramdisk, spits out CD drive and asks politely for a module disc? I say only as an option because some people may want to run this thing as a server on something without enough ram.
I'm still not sure I quite understand how this second track/cd thing would work. It would be another compressed ISO image, right? how would it be made though? knopbase boots, detects everything, then mounts the second compressed image, chroots to it, and voila?
I have to say I love the idea and I'll help out testing it and what not if possible(I'm on dial up as well

, although my brother has high speed at university).
Hmm, Morphix sounds nice! I'm still sliming down the base distro (53mb's (this time for real, i hope
) after which i'll try to make a session for KnopNL Desktop (the one with icewm and all those nice apps).
The spitting-out thing sounds like it could be usable, but then you could just as well throw everything on one cd (i dont think the savings would be that great, and it would be a waste for using 2 cd's, imho). I'm looking into multisession cd's at the moment, i'm just hoping that it's flexible enough to work. I'm afraid that i'll have to cut everything from usr and use that as a mountpoint for the compressed module, that would mean no manuals, and throwing kudzu, awk and the rest in /bin or another root directory. Configurationfiles would also be a pain...
as for maudite, KnopNL now uses icewm, imho the lightest and most usable (for people wanting a startbutton and a taskbar, to be honest i dont prefer it). We could have a Light GUI track (that DOESNT have openoffice, dammit
, one with a light track more aimed at professional users (blackbox/wmaker/waimea, emacs/vim) and a heavy track, carrying KDE3/Gnome2 and Openoffice *shudder*, thats what i didn't like about knoppix 
i've already mentioned the possibilities for non-GUI distro's, like a hardware-testing track, server-track, firewall-track and game-tracks (like the UT2003 demo knoppix cd, just more easier to make). The possibility of more than two tracks could also be thought about, but there would have to be a different mountpoint for every track 
Glad to see some of you this enthusiastic, this might actually work
Similar Threads
-
By Pengers in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-31-2004, 02:14 AM
-
By roberto in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE
$450.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)
$6999.99