Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: loop aes128 truecrypt compatible

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1

    loop aes128 truecrypt compatible

    4 questions someone may be able to help with... (for the benefit of all)

    MOUNT

    under knoppix 6, cannot mount encrypted volume that was created with knoppix 3.7/knoppix 5
    TEST CONTAINER http://jump.fm/AMUKN (Save file to your PC: click here)
    password is kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk (20 times "k")
    mount /dev/sda5 /mountpoint -o encryption=aes,keybits=128,nohashpass=1

    CREATE
    losetup -e aes -k 128 -N /dev/loop6 /dev/sda5
    produces Knoppix 3.7 Knoppix 5 incompatible containers

    FREE LOOP (knoppix 6)
    mount: could not find any free loop device
    how can I get more loop devices? mknod?

    TRUECRYPT (windows, linux)
    does anyone know if one can create/mount containers/partitions
    with truecrypt that are compatible to AES128 container above?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by y23y23 View Post
    FREE LOOP (knoppix 6)
    mount: could not find any free loop device
    how can I get more loop devices? mknod?
    Not sure about the rest but this item, has been discussed before.

    It's because newer version of 'mount' treat the existence of /dev/loop/0
    as you intent to use the older device names, but the system only
    created one, and therefore it runs out too quickly.

    The fix is to remove /dev/loop/0, so that the new version of 'mount'
    will use the "newer" device filenames /dev/loopX, which the system
    has created with many, so it will not run out so soon.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    The fix is to remove /dev/loop/0, so that the new version of 'mount'
    will use the "newer" device filenames /dev/loopX, which the system
    has created with many, so it will not run out so soon.
    kl522, if I delete /dev/loop/0 , it just gets re-made at the next boot...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep
    if I delete /dev/loop/0 , it just gets re-made at the next boot...
    Yes. I would expect that. Where did you delete /dev/loop/0 ? I think you need to delete it in minirt.gz.

    I find this does not work:

    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop /media/sdb2/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img yesterday
    but this does:

    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop=/dev/loop2 /dev/sdb2/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img yesterday
    There's a choice from /dev/loop0 through /dev/loop7. The first is usually taken by today's knoppix-data.img but if you're running with squashfs, then you'll find the first two are already taken.

    Tchao

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    kl522, if I delete /dev/loop/0 , it just gets re-made at the next boot...
    A classic example of one of those bugs which was never attended too. Yes, it is a bug in my view and I don't have to be diplomatic about it. Nevertheless you can always use the syntax which Forester proposes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Can also delete the /dev/loop/0 in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig or /etc/rc.local because deleting in from minirt.gz may not be everybody's cup of tea.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:/etc$ cat rc.local 
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # Start local services after hardware detection
    
    SERVICES="cups"
    
    for i in $SERVICES; do
     [ -x /etc/init.d/"$i" ] && /etc/init.d/"$i" start >/dev/null 2>&1
    done
    
    #for some dark reason /dev/loop/0 gets created but we want to use /dev/loop0
    #so lets delete it :D
    rm -r -f /dev/loop
    exit 0
    but still it doesn't go away...
    Could it be that it doesn't look at the /unionfs/etc/rc.local but at /KNOPPIX/etc/rc.local?
    cause then I would need to do a remaster...

    and forester, your solution works perfect and I'm using it now. But as I'm lazy and I work a lot with loopback files I'd really need to be able to type mount -o loop ... ... .
    I'll restore all the problems I've caused in the past on my system and then remaster again and let you know how it turned out

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Take a look at /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, because that's the master run script for knoppix. 'knoppix-autoconfig' is defined in /etc/inittab to be executed at boot.

    Somewhere in knoppix-autoconfig, it will run /etc/rc.local, but it checks if it is executable, [ -x /etc/rc.local ], before it runs it.

    So please check your /etc/rc.local has execution permission.

    Actually for me, I wouldn't bother with /etc/rc.local. I put my own customization into /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig directly. It's bad habit of mine, perhaps I am not a good example to follow.

    Cheers.

    p/s: your rc.local seems to be doing too many things. Some of which already done in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    Can also delete the /dev/loop/0 in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig or /etc/rc.local because deleting in from minirt.gz may not be everybody's cup of tea.
    Yep. Good call.

    These solutions get stored in knoppix-data.img. You could also create /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh for a solution that doesn't and doesn't involve grubbing around in minirt.gz.

    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    but still it doesn't go away...
    Oh dear. I can't see anything wrong with /etc/rc.local.

    You try adding, instead of removing :

    Code:
    for ii in $(seq 1 7); do sudo ln -s /dev/loop$ii /dev/loop/$ii; done

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    after a quick remaster I noticed that it now works there is no /dev/loop/0 anymore and I can mount just by typing moun -o loop ... ...
    Could it be that knoppix really doesn't look at knoppix-data.img at the startup? or is it just coincedince it is working now?

    @ kl522
    that rc.local has not been messed with before by me so I'm guessing it's the one comming standard on the cd... Does that mean that rc.local on the cd is not the way it's suposed to be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC

$69.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$50.99



S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco picture

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco

$89.99



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880

$7.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00