Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: The permissions for creation of a raid by the raid software linux in knoppix live CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3

    The permissions for creation of a raid by the raid software linux in knoppix live CD

    Hello everybody
    I need to create a raid array using the software inside the Knoppix CD, called linux raid. When I try to run this a window open telling I have not the permissions to execute this operation. How can I solve this?
    Please I need an urgent answer
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    open a root console and type
    Code:
    sudo su
    hit enter, you are now super administrator, in Linux known as root user.

    now you type in the command from this console
    Please be carefull, if you know how you have power to even destroy hardware by removing and/or altering firmware (prom on drives and BIOS to name two) not to mention files... so take care.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    I know that to take root permissions I can tape "sudo su" and get priviledges, but I have never run the linux raid application from consolle. How can I do this.
    In particular I have two disks that belong to a raid array 1 (mirror) that lost his partition and I have to recover data (file and folders) from it. They are in ext2 fs. They are fisically detected by knoppix disk utility but of course not logically.
    Now, Inside the disk utility I have also the software raid in which disks are detected and I can read:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Array name:0
    Home host:-
    Array size: 1,4 GB/1,3 GiB/.......... bytes
    Array Type: Mirrored (Raid 1)
    Components: 2 components (1500 GB each)
    State: Not running
    ---------------------------------------------------

    Ok this is the situation. I would like to run this raid array to take files and folders.

    So the question is:
    If I need authorizzation and cannot run application using windows but only using consolle, I get root priviledges with sudo command, and then? Which command I should use to run RAID software? And what are the parameters of this/these commands?

    Any hints are welcome, Thank you in advance

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    I have noticed another element that can be important:
    Running G-Parted and selecting one of the two disks, I can read "unollocated" and a warning simbol besides.
    So I click on Information and this window appear:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ....
    ....
    Warning:
    Partition 1 isn't alligned to cylinder
    boundaries. This is still unsupported.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can this be helpfull to solve my troubles

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Lot of 24 InnoDisk 8GB DDR4 2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM 192GB M4RS-8GSQEC0J-EB260 picture

Lot of 24 InnoDisk 8GB DDR4 2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM 192GB M4RS-8GSQEC0J-EB260

$720.00



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00