Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Working with ntfs

Threaded View

  1. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    There are several problems with NTFS, and IMHO it should be avoided where possible. That said, M$oft being as ubiquitous as it is, it is frequently necessary to deal with it even if one chooses not to operate on/under/within their OS-s on a daily basis. Thus I am grateful that ntfs-3g is available, and included in Knoppix. My usage/reasoning is detailed below, but I am not a member of the "don't ever write to NTFS in Linux" camp - it's not SO bad, these days, and sometimes necessary (or at least convenient.)

    I am using Knoppix version 6.2.0-DVD from the FAT32-formatted first partition of my hard drive, and there are no doubts that this imposes limitations. In addition to the 4GB of KNOPPIX itself, I have a persistent store of 2 GB, wherein all my system additons (e.g. Google Chrome) and some files kept in home, etc. (all under ext3) reside, leaving about 2GB of FAT32 storage for certain downloads, Windows-readable. Since this is the system my wife and I use to watch downloaded TV and movies (mostly), it follows that more storage for media is required. I fill this need by using slack space on TWO other NTFS partitions with large amounts of relatively dead storage. I often (daily) have several torrents running simultaneously (sometimes more), which can definitely ratchet up the processor load noticeably, especially as those partitions fill up and the files get more fragmented.

    This brings us to the most serious drawback of the use of NTFS - it requires defragging, in some form or the other, relatively often. The Linux ext2/3/4 filesystems are relatively immune to fragmentation, and what does exist therein (always some, usually not much) is not a serious handicap and NEVER requires user (or admin) intervention, being automatic.

    I have also used Knoppix copied to an NTFS (Windows) partition, and thereunder running, causing auto-mounting when booted. While this is an anecdotal report, and certainly NOT an endorsement of such a practice, I can report that the most serious trouble I had using that system on a daily basis was also processor load, perhaps due to allowing the automatic use of the Windows swap file. Experientially, I found that ntfs3g was quite capable, and robustly handled the access Knoppix required of it to fulfill the role of providing underlying filesystem support, and shares files with Windows with no trouble (unless I tried to hibernate Windows and then access files it thought were locked while it was asleep.)

    So, on balance, while I am not thrilled with being forced, as it were, to use a substandard filesystem, and in the near future I expect to eliminate my daily NTFS-access needs, I am content for the time being with using ntfs3g. I don't lose ANY data, and if I keep an eye on the processor load (via the cute little graphic available on the taskbar called "CPU usage monitor") to avoid making the system unresponsive by overloading it, it works fine (sort of, anyway.)

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 02-13-2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Oops, typos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00