Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Unofficial cheatcodes to backup and restore persistent data

Threaded View

  1. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    utu san,

    I wish I could say the confusion is all mine and apologise profusely.


    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    To recoup, here's what I think is the current state of affairs:
    you have invented patches to give Knoppix 6.4.4 two new cheatcodes, backup
    and restore.
    Yes. I'd rather say developed or even elaborated than invented.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    These two capabilities, in effect, automate the utilzation of the
    capability already in 6.4.4 which manages a file update*.tar.gz in a manner to
    allow the backing-up and restoration-of the knoppix-data.img file.
    No. I don't use the update*.tar.gz facility. It is not appropriate.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    These newer offerings utilize squashfs to speed things up beyond the capabilities
    of the initial offerings.
    No. This has nothing to do with squashfs.

    The first offering used the BusyBox with tar+zlib. The new offering contrives to the full tar + gzip programs available to use from the Knoppix desktop. This cleverness uses facilities KK already uses himself in /init. to run programs not available in BusyBox or minirt, most notably to handle the creation of encrypted knoppix-data.aes files.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    Only the backup speed improved significantly, but this
    may be due to limitations in writing to the USB. Please confirm or correct me here.
    Yes. That is what I wrote.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    I really would like backup to be a menu choice to be used during normal on-line use of 6.4.4.
    My first question on this forum was how do I add an item to the LXDE menu. As I recall your answer was "I'd like to know too".

    You can tar + gzip /KNOPPIX-DATA any time you like. Even a dodgy backup is better than none.

    For me, the trouble with a menu item is I'd forget to use it and after a week I'd forget it was there. The same is true for a cheat code but less so, if you know what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    Restore I would use as a cheatcode in addition to my normal DEFAULT set of cheatcodes.
    Yes. There is little choice here. You can, naturally, extract individual files from the backup if that's what you need to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    The meaning of backup here is to create a tar.gz of a snapshot of KNOPPIX-DATA,
    using squashfs, since it offers an advantage; but do this as a menu choice,
    or as a console command, but not as a cheatcode, per se.
    You repeat yourself. No. This has nothing to do with squashfs.

    It has to do with 'snapshot' . Think of a snapshot as a digital photograph of your persistent data. You want a clean crisp photo taken while the subject is not moving to avoid blurring of the details. Using a cheat code is the only way of ensuring the photo is taken before the subject starts moving. Backup from menu item means the subject is moving and you won't find out if some crucial detail is blurred until you, out of necessity, have to restore.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    This I realize is a complication of your approach to backup. And, I know you are hesitant on doing the back-up on-line, but I'm not sure it's a show-stopper.
    No. Taking a shapshot from the command line is so simple I do it everyday but I boot Debian to ensure I take a clean snapshot of Knoppix. Developing the user space shell script I use from Debian was a darn sight easier than adding cheat codes to /init.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    The meaning of restore might be simply to find such a snapshot and restore it
    simply per the normal update* process of 6.4.4, since squash seems not to offer
    any improvement; do this as a cheatcode to be appended to a normal default.
    This might actually be a simplification of your approach to restore.
    No. There is nothing normal about this or the update* process. Using the update* process involves more error prone manual intervention than a simple cheat code but that is not the reasons using update* is a bad idea. The reason it to do with ensuring deleted files stay deleted.

    If someone were to use these cheat codes on a regular basis, I'd suggest they add new boot targets to syslinux.cfg. Instead of typing in knoppix backup_data=/dev/sda6 at the boot: prompt and getting it wrong half the time, they'd type in knoppix_with_backup or something shorter they can easily remember.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    I need to review for myself if there is any complication in appending a cheatcode
    to my normal DEFAULT set of cheatcodes; I don't recall.
    See previous remark.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    I have in the back of my mind how nice Win7 allows system image snapshots, and how
    handy these are when something goes funny.
    That's a system function more akin to saving and restoring from the file system journal. What I have done is a simple user space add-on.

    File system journal recovery is for hard drives where the risk of file system corruption through user error is greater than the risk of damage or loss of the hardware medium.

    What I have done is intended as much as a protection against the loss or temporary misplacement of my USB stick as it is against the risk that I remove the USB stick from its slot without first shutting down Knoppix.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    The faster restore is a holy grail for another day. I don't know why the
    KNOPPIX file can be unpacked so fast, but not the knoppix-data.img; doesn't make
    sense, or it's just not fair, somehow.
    Umm. Nonsense. Unpacking or decompression is always faster than packing or compression. Reading from a USB stick is always faster than writing.

    The KNOPPIX file is read and unpacked but only the bits needed, not the whole thing. By definition, backup / restore have to read / write all the bits of persistent store.

    Here are my (unrepresentative times):

    ~ 60 s copy of 1 Gb knoppix-data.img file from USB to hard drive under Debian 6.
    ~ 30 s tar + gzip of knoppix-data.img file from USB to hard drive under Debian 6.

    ~ 30 s backup with revised cheat code from USB to hard drive
    ~ 90 s backup with original cheat code from USB to hard drive

    My knoppix-data.img file is currently two thirds full and its backup is almost a ¼ Gb.

    The Debian tar + gzip is faster than the cheat code but not when you take into account the time needed to boot and shutdown Debian.

    The backup takes several minutes at work because I've a virtual machine with a virtual USB 1.1 controller that is very much slower than a real USB 2.0 controller. The go faster stripe has no effect where I need it most.

    Enjoy the simplicity of your tax return form.
    Last edited by Forester; 03-10-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



PfSense: 4x1Gb 4x10Gb 2x40Gb, E3-1275 v5, 32GB, 80GB, AES-NI (Supermicro X11SSW) picture

PfSense: 4x1Gb 4x10Gb 2x40Gb, E3-1275 v5, 32GB, 80GB, AES-NI (Supermicro X11SSW)

$359.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe picture

OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe

$284.99