You should fiddle around in knoppix-autoconfigure to replace the original network manager with wicd like I did, it's described somewhere in a post.
I have the feeling its under 60 seconds but maybe thats just me.
You should fiddle around in knoppix-autoconfigure to replace the original network manager with wicd like I did, it's described somewhere in a post.
I have the feeling its under 60 seconds but maybe thats just me.
Greetings, luther.
I'm using Knoppix 7.2 and just the following in rc.local now:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower 5mW rate 54M key (key code) essid "(essid name)"
Time to browser on-line is 50 seconds, same as when using Win7 on this laptop.
FWIW.
1. sudo is not really necessary as Forester has pointed out.
2. Klaus K has changed the 7.2 boot up process somewhat to improve boot time,
but I'm not aware just where and how.
3. The reduced transmit power was a suggestion of Klaus K's to counter-act
local wifi interference. I don't know if this helps on time to connect
but it seems to improve the frequent disconnect situation here.
4. It's quite likely Network Manager has improved as well since this thread
was initiated.
In answer to you question, I suggest the following:
As root call up leafpad and edit /etc/rc.local
by adding the following line just before the "exit 0" line:
iwconfig (wifi's device name) rate 54M key (router key code) essid "(router essid name)"
If that doesn't improve things, then this might be one more reason
to benefit from upgrading to 7.2.
utu,
The line needed to be rooted for the LED to fire, but wasn't able to connect. Therefore, resorted to 'udhcpc' that was installed from synaptic:
'udhcpc' freezes knoppix 7.0.3 on my older hardware, giving credence to this post to your 'old' thread.Code:knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid mynetwork knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 key 6789abcdef knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo udhcpc -b -i wlan0 -x hostname:Microknoppix -p /var/run/udhcpc.wlan0.pid udhcpc (v1.20.1) started Sending discover... Sending discover... Sending select for 192.168.0.14... Lease of 192.168.0.14 obtained, lease time 86400 /etc/udhcpc/default.script: Resetting default routes SIOCDELRT: No such process /etc/udhcpc/default.script: Adding DNS 8.8.4.4 /etc/udhcpc/default.script: Adding DNS 8.8.8.8 knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
'udhcpc' has a '-syslog' switch, but is useless when it causes knoppix to freeze!
luther
PS. 7.0.3 has been an excellent PC repair tool and hate to part w/it!
* posted w/udhcpc & w/nonetworkmanager cheatcode
I didn't make it clear that in Knoppix 7.2, I've gone back to using Network Manager.
I now use only the line I quoted earlier to boot my system.
You are quite right that the line itself must be issued by root.
This is, or may be, done by /etc/rc.local which has root:root ownership.
The programs you like in 7.03 may be available in 7.2 as well.
I'll take a look at my Synaptic to see if that's so, if you'll name it (or them).
Last edited by utu; 01-29-2014 at 10:40 PM.
I note that my version of Synaptic, without being
itself upgraded from the initial 7.2 values,
indicates software-center 5.1.2debian3.1 Utility
is available for download.
I have no experience with using software-center
and no current motivation to use it. Perhaps you
can tell me what it's good-for.
I use reiserfs persistence, but have no current need
for 4 G's of it.
Greetings again, luther.
You've obviously got the right idea about (not) trying to upgrade Knoppix this way.
Blacklisting software-center might be in order on this principle, but
perhaps a little heavy-handed for some of the more experienced Knoppixers,
who know how to handle the 'dependencey hell' aspect which may arise.

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99
Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99
Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99
Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86
Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99
Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.
$95.55