Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help installing on Memorystick

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2

    Help installing on Memorystick

    Intel 3.0 GHz
    over 8 GB memory
    Ati Radeon 3850 Graphics card

    Sandisk 8GB memory USB stick.

    Ok, first I downloaded and Installed version 6.3.x i get to the command promt but when it loads the gui i get white stripes and nothing happens.

    So then I Installed version 6.4.4, then I get to the gui but this is the only thing I see [img]knoppix64-bootscreen.png[/img] BUT I dont see the text I only see the penguin and nothing else. I tried starting with command to change to 800*600, but still the same, only the Penguin shows.

    When I press ctrl+alt+backspace several times I Sometimes get this screen [IMG]knoppix64-desktop.png[/IMG] But No icons or anything. But I can sometimes see the taskbar flash by but then nothing.

    So I tried installing version 6.2.x, and voila It works! But I dont want an old version I want the newest, so does anyone got a solution to problem with 6.4.4 ?

    And Another question; I want this USB memorystick to act like its own harddrive, meaning I want to be able to work with Knoppix the same way I work with XP that I have on my PC. I want to be able to save files and settings and such, like settings for wireless, screen, icons etc. And when I start knoppix I want to get the option to load my personal settings; This Way I always get My settings when Iam at home. Is this possible and how?

    Thanks for any help, especially getting 6.4.4 to work.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Hmm ... ATI Radeon graphics eh ? No wonder you've problems. Knoppix has no less that three xserver-xorg-video drivers for ATI graphics. That's the open source drivers - there's a non-free '*******' from the manufacturer.

    Where did you get those .png files from ? I've got the DVD MAXI edition of 6.4.4 and can't find them. They (and the impressive amount of RAM on your machine) lead me to wonder if you aren't booting the 64-bit kernel. You don't say and I can't tell from your narrative whether you can enter cheatcodes or not (but I have to assume you can).

    You also don't say whether you are using the CD or the DVD (MAXI) edition (so I have to assume you are using the CD edition).

    Suggest:

    1. If you want to boot the 64-bit Linux kernel, use the DVD edition - everyone who has tried the 64-bit kernel with the CD edition has reported limited driver support.

    2. If you are booting the 64-bit kernel, try booting the 32-bit kernel and see if that makes a difference (*).

    3. Try the cheatcode nocomposite - the open source ATI Radeon drivers tend to be a bit short on the 3D acceleration stuff.

    (*) I had an ATI / Raedeon card in a machine at work once. It worked with an old Kernel compiled for a 386. It wouldn't work with the newer kernel nor with the old kernel compiled for a 686. These drivers are about as stable as the wine project's support for Windows software.

    Report back. If things still don't work, we can look at gathering some diagnostics. If you do find a magic combination, ask your question about USB install in a separate thread. It's piss easy, you should be able to work it out yourself, there are plenty of answers already on the forum for those who couldn't and, if that's not enough, there are others on the forum who can help you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620 picture

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620

$325.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99