Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: VIDEO OF PROBLEM main bar wont stop blinking

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2

    VIDEO OF PROBLEM main bar wont stop blinking

    hey. the bar at the bottom blinks a lot. how do i get it to stop? i took a vid. the vids here http://jon-h.com/linux/blink_knoppix.mp4
    the stuff on the bar doesnt come on like start up buttons. i think its my laptop. does dell latitude cpx work on knoppix?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Hi jjohndos8 and welcome to the Knoppix forums.

    See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...Latitude-e6510.

    Let's us know if you still have problems.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    thanks. that was fast. i did
    knoppix nomodeset xmodule=nv

    knoppix xmodule=vesa

    they didnt work. ill try more later. can you think of anything else

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    I watched your video. The Penguin has never looked so cool.

    So the cheat code didn't fix the problem. Here's a few things I'd look at/try if this happened to me.

    First ctrl-alt-F12 to get the syslog console. Any interesting error messages there ?

    Second ctrl-alt-F2 to get a text console (with no flashing) and I'd have a look through the X server log:

    Code:
    less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    I'd want to know if there are any errors - lines starting with (EE).

    I'd be looking to see what hardware it thinks I've got (something like)

    Code:
    (--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0_ 8086:0046:1462:1033 Intel Corporation ..... Graphics Controller
    I'd be looking to see what drivers it loaded (did it ignore the cheatcode ?) and perhaps later unloaded:

    Code:
    (II) LoadModule: "intel"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
    If it appears to have ignored the cheat code I'd want to check I type in what I think I typed in with:

    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    Next I'd go back to the flashing panel with ctrl-alt-F5 and I'd restart the X-server with ctrl-alt-bksp. I'd give it a few tries to see if that makes any difference.

    I'd also try killing and restarting the lxpanel (that is what is blinking). It might be easiest to do this from the non-blinking console ctrl-alt-F2:

    Code:
    killall lxpanel
    lxpanel &
    and switch back to the desktop with ctrl-alt-F5.

    i would also try starting lxpanel without the & in order to see what trace (and possibly error) messages it spits out.

    I'd try the CD in another machine. I might also try burning another CD but this time at really low speed.

    Let us know how you get on.

  5. #5
    I had the same problem of the taskbar/panel blinking with an old Dell Inspiron 8000 which lists "Card, Graphic, 32Mb, P41, Nvidia, MSI" as the video card. Basically it can't handle compiz, so I had to shut it down. Something like "nocomposite" in the boot options. I think I have "nomodeset nocomposite" for the boot options, but unsure if I needed the other one. It worked for me, but you'll lose all the fun windows breaking and flopping around.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Try 'no3d', that works for me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    As utu says, no3d is the standard way to simplify graphics handling - it just disables compiz, and, in lots of use cases, is the only graphics parameter (cheatcode) necessary to enter. If you run compiz, but have problems, you may try to turn off all the features first, and then introduce them one by one, to see if you can get anything working well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1988 Apple MAC SE/30 Computer M5119 Logic, Analog & PSU Recapped picture

Vintage 1988 Apple MAC SE/30 Computer M5119 Logic, Analog & PSU Recapped

$850.00



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$32.00



Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator picture

Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator

$220.00



Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



1979 vintage apple II 2  keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla picture

1979 vintage apple II 2 keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla

$500.00



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us picture

vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us

$29.99



RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s picture

RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s

$319.99