-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix 6.5 on a Laptop with Intel 855 Graphics
I install Knoppix as a Poor Man's install dual booting with other OS (Puppy Linux, Windows, ...) off an NTFS partition.
With Knoppix 6.4 DVD and the boot codes as used on the DVD I had no problems with booting up to the desktop.
With Knoppix 6.5 DVD everything goes fine until Compiz turns itself on. Then the screen flashes a lot and the panel disappears, along with bits of background wallpaper! They are still there but hidden. I have managed to get an app (Libre Office writer) open but it is impossible to use. Selected menus flash into existence but disappear again almost instantly.
If I use the boot code no3d at boot up then Knoppix does not turn on Compiz and everything is fine.
This behaviour is exactly the same if I boot up from the DVD rather than the Poor Man's Install.
I don't know the cause of the behaviour change between the two versions - I am just guessing it is something to do with the Intel graphics card as that has been the source of much anguish with many distros recently.
If anyone has any ideas ... , but, if not, then be warned about this potential difficulty if you like Compiz.
Last edited by ICPUG; 04-04-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$199.99

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00