-

Originally Posted by
Forester
Ah, I know what ctrl-alt-bksp does not work on some of the later distros ...
... it is no longer the default ... you have to tell X you want this functionality.
That sounds like a BIG clue. I wonder if there's an "intercept and do nothing" type function for ctrl-Alt-Fx in X. But why would it be so consistent for both of us, in opposite ways?
Apparently, the story goes, Ubuntu users are so crass they keep typing ctrl-alt-bksp by mistake. (How ? The whole point of it being ctrl-alt-bksp is you can't press three keys like that by mistake).
The mistake is at the source - confusion about another famous "three-finger salute", I bet.
You can do so too when taking other distros out for a spin. Edit the file
/etc/default/keyboard and make sure the line that starts XKBOPTIONS includes the option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp.
But this is another one that doesn't work for me with Knoppix! I'll definitely poke around, as suggested.
Now its your turn: find out how to restore the old behaviour of ctrl+alt+del.
Did you know you can now even get X to give you "shift with numeric keypad keys works as in MS Windows" ? There soon won't be any point in using Linux as it will be just a Windows clone. Damn Ubuntu.
Cheers!
Krishna
-

Originally Posted by
krishna.murphy
Hmm - It hasn't worked for me since version 5. On multiple machines, also. With various keyboards, displays, etc.
I guess it's worth a try, but I'm still using the version I started with when I found that 5.0 wasn't the latest, i.e. 6.2.0. I did move it from my laptop to this machine...
W
Well, just try it with any Knoppix 6 CD with no persistent store. That will tell us whether it is your configuration or not. If so, then its a question of finding out what. I see people tend to alter xinitrc instead of xorg.conf. There are several files might be involved.
-
Senior Member
registered user
@Krishna
Here's an idea for you to try. It works on my keyboard.
http://mark.koli.ch/2009/02/linux-ma...ly-broken.html
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR
$1100.00