I think that it would be helpful to know more about the filesystems on sda. I would suggest that you run Knoppix or another Linux and show us the output of the following commandsCode:sudo fdisk -l sudo blkid
Dear All,
Knoppix V6.4.4 boots and runs from my USB stick.
I have installed it to my HDD as a permanent OS on sda6 with a 1 GB swap on sda7.
GRUB is installed on the MBR of sda1.
I have done 2 installs with the same result.
On re-boot I have Knoppix and Windows dual-boot and get the following with the Knoppix selection :
"Booting Knoppix
root (hd0,5)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7"
.............................. other text
"error 17: cannot mount selected partition.
I have a Gigabyte T1028X with a 64GB SSD with Win 7 on sda1 plus 2 other NTFS partitions.
Win 7 boots OK.
Any suggestions on resolving this problem.
Regards,
ScottyJavea
I think that it would be helpful to know more about the filesystems on sda. I would suggest that you run Knoppix or another Linux and show us the output of the following commandsCode:sudo fdisk -l sudo blkid
Dear Klaus,
Thank you for your swift reply ... data as follows:
sudo fdisk -l
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
sda1 * 1 5039 40474743+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
sda2 5040 6365 10651095 7 HPFS/NTFS
sda3 6366 7784 11395819 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
sda5 6366 7119 60564734 7 HPFS/NTFS
sda6 7120 7616 3992121 83 Linux
sda7 7617 7783 1341396 82 Linux swap / Solaris
sudo blkid
sda1: UUID= "346C22F66C222B292" TYPE= "ntfs"
sda2: LABEL = "DATA" UUID= "DE1E72611E72329F" TYPE= "ntfs"
sda5: LABEL = "APPS" UUID= "8EF0A8C9F0A8B93B"" TYPE= "ntfs"
sda6 TYPE = "reiserfs"
sda7 TYPE = "swap"
Regards,
ScottyJavea
Dear ScottyJavea,
I think that the following procedure will solve the issue. I assume that you use grub legacy.
1. Reboot your system.
2. Press the 'C' key in order to get a command line.
3. At the prompt typein followed by the tabulator key. This will show you a list of partitions on your first HDD. Write down the number of your partition formatted with reiserfs.Code:root (hd0,
4. Reboot your system with the Knoppix DVD and edit your menu.lst file.
5. Try out your new boot configuration.
Regards
Dear Klaus,
The reiserf partition was listed as 6.
I edited the menu.lst using 6 but still no result ..... I even tried 5 and then 4.
The following is the result of trying to boot Knoppix:
"Booting 'KNOPPIX"
root (hd0,5)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
kernel/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 rootwait lang=us apm=power-off nomce libata
.force=noncq tz-localtime loglevel=1 rw
Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition"
What next ? ... if anything.
Regards,
ScottyJavea
... why that? Install grub an sdaGRUB is installed on the MBR of sda1
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)
Strange enough. If grub has been ***ONLY*** installed on sda1, there is probably no attempt to boot possible. But it appears from the messages there has been attempts to boot.
Probably there are multiple bootloaders installed, one on sda, and one on sda1 ? And probably the menu.lst configuration was not modified for the right bootloader ?
Dear ScottyJavea,
I am surprised that you still have 'root (hd0,5)'. I would suggest that you try the following.
1. Boot your system in order to get the GRUB menu.
2. Move the cursor to the menu entry that boots Knoppix and press the 'E' key. This will allow you to edit the GRUB commands.
3. Move the cursor to the line 'root (hd0,5)' and press the 'E' key.
4. Edit the line so that it becomes 'root (hd0,6)' and press the 'Enter' key.
5. Press the 'B' key to try out your new GRUB configuration.
6. Tell us what happens.
Regards
Dear Klaus, Thank you again, although I feel a bit of a twit for not doing this in the first place. The (hd0, 5) should have been an indication. All OK and booting fine ... this contact is from within Knoppix. Some background: I am setting up a new USB stick Computer Test, Repair & Recovery which needs "touch". Knoppix works with touch screens whereas my previous USB stick had Ubuntu which is iffy on touch screens. A lot of my members (440 total) are getting touch-screen netbooks which need bootable USB stick installers (no CD-DVD drives) Note that my main toolkit machine is a Gigabyte T1028X convertible with a resistive touch screen. Many Thanks, again, Keep up the good work, Regards, ScottyJavea

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile
$35.00
SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$33.94
20 X New Cisco QSFP-100G-FR-W2 10-3659-01 Module Hologram Brand New 20 Pack
$299.00
Trenz Electronic SFP to SMA Adapter Board PCB Module
$105.00