-
Windows won't boot - Is Knoppix my hero?
My laptop fell from a small chair 2 days ago and since then, Windows won't boot. I am terrified of losing my files because I have many, many, maaaaaaany important things on there! I've been looking up solutions online from my mother's computer and have found many people saying that Knoppix can retrieve my files from my laptop.
I want to make sure this is true, as well as ask how to go about doing so. Can anyone help me?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
RizaHawkeye
My laptop fell from a small chair 2 days ago and since then, Windows won't boot. I am terrified of losing my files because I have many, many, maaaaaaany important things on there! I've been looking up solutions online from my mother's computer and have found many people saying that Knoppix can retrieve my files from my laptop.
I want to make sure this is true, as well as ask how to go about doing so. Can anyone help me?
It's at least a good chance Knoppix won't be your hero unless you make Google and forum search your good and trusted friends..
You should look it up, the very short versions are:
If only booting is affected, you should be able to boot Knoppix from CD/DVD/USB, mount the actual Windows volume(s) and retreieve data from them.
If the file system is damaged, most will advise specialized recovery/repair tools, those tend to run under Windows.
If the disk is also severely damaged (more than a number of bad blocks), data may still be recovered, but that's an expert job.
And with the current price of USB sticks and external USB harddisks, I really don't understand why you don't have backup.
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$640.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$248.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB
$180.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50