Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Command-line syntax : a question about cp --parents

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50

    Command-line syntax : a question about cp --parents

    I cannot find (and don't know whether there is) a Forum specific to command-line syntax questions, so I'll post it here. Please put me right if I want to go elsewhere (and I apologise for wasting your time). Here is the question. Thank you!

    I can use
    cp -vr --parents /a/b/c/d /x/y
    to create a directory /x/y/a/b/c/d containing everything at d and everything under d.

    But how could I create a directory x/y/b/c/d (ie omitting a)? I could MOVE to /a/ and then use
    cp -vr --parents b/c/d /x/y
    but I really don't want to do the MOVE (and can think of circumstances where I might not be able to).

    I'm really looking for something exactly similar to the
    tar -C DIRNAME
    switch that allows one to make a virtual move to the directory DIRNAME before commencing the tar operation.

    Thank you!

    Fergus

    PS Again, sorry - if there is a Forum under Knoppix.NET (or for that matter elsewhere) specific to questions about command-line syntax, please point me to it ...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    This is not Knoppix-specific at all? What about trying sites like linuxquestions.org?
    Tip: Check out rsync whenever you feel you approach the capabilities of cp.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$400.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x15TB NVME 10GbE Rails picture

Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x15TB NVME 10GbE Rails

$61452.99



Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(16x32) 8x3.84TB NVME 100GbE Rails picture

Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(16x32) 8x3.84TB NVME 100GbE Rails

$36371.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00