-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
utu
@ Capricorny
Rather than put all your stuff in with Win7 as 'just another file'
why not at least first segregate the section you use into a Virtual Hard Drive?
That is a built-in capability of Win7 Home Premium that would seem
to offer some protection from lousing up Win7 when using its resources.
I still don't get why you want to do this so terribly complicated!
Please tell me the chance of corrupting the whole Win7 file system by using my method. It's close to nil. We are not deleting, relocating, using metadata, not anything except for creating a few files at one point of time, and doing random access on them, mostly ro, later. If this had been very risky, I think we should have had reports about it.
Using virtual hard drives might well offer some protection, but I simply don't trust Windows concepts before I have seen them thoroughly tested, and the extra level of complexity must be well motivated by some actual problems.
BTW, I wonder if these VHD's are not simply loop-mounting coming to Windows. In which case we would get an extra, unnecessary level of indirection using them. But I may be wrong.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99