Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Unable to mount MacBook HD in Knoppix 6.4.4

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1

    Question Unable to mount MacBook HD in Knoppix 6.4.4

    I'm trying to recover data from the internal HD of a MacBook, which has recently stopped booting to its native OS (OSX 10.4.11). When I enter
    Code:
    mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
    in LXTerminal, it returns:
    Code:
    mount: special device /dev/sda2 does not exist
    Strangely (at least to me), when I run
    Code:
    parted /dev/sda
    and enter the "print" command, I get (usually after several minutes):
    Code:
    Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54161 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt
    
    Number  Start   End    Size   File system  Name                  Flags
     1      20.5kB  210MB  210MB  fat32        EFI system partition  boot
     2      210MB   120GB  120GB               Customer
    I was able to mount an external HD with an HFS+ partition (where I would like to copy the files from the internal drive) without issue.

    Is there any reason that parted would be able to find /dev/sda, but not mount?

    One possible solution I thought about was to write a new partition table (not GPT) to the internal drive that would be readable in mount, but I don't want to try that without some guidance for obvious reasons.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    More info:

    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# lspci 
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:07.0 Performance counters: Intel Corporation Device 27a3 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 22)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    03:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW322/323 (rev 61)
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# dmesg | grep sda
    [51840.398745] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] Unhandled sense code
    [51840.398750] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    [51840.398758] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Sense Key : Medium Error [current] [descriptor]
    [51840.398800] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
    [51840.398812] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 06 40 28 00 00 08 00
    [51840.398830] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 409642
    [51840.398837] Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 51205
    [51864.365452] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] Unhandled sense code
    [51864.365457] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    [51864.365465] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Sense Key : Medium Error [current] [descriptor]
    [51864.365517] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
    [51864.365526] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 06 40 28 00 00 08 00
    [51864.365539] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 409642
    [51864.365545] Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 51205
    [51888.288727] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] Unhandled sense code
    [51888.288732] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    [51888.288739] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Sense Key : Medium Error [current] [descriptor]
    [51888.288781] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
    [51888.288793] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 06 40 28 00 00 08 00
    [51888.288812] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 409642
    [51888.288819] Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 51205
    [51912.168754] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] Unhandled sense code
    [51912.168759] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    [51912.168766] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Sense Key : Medium Error [current] [descriptor]
    [51912.168809] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
    [51912.168821] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 06 40 28 00 00 08 00
    [51912.168848] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 409642
    [51912.168853] Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 51205
    [51936.212041] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] Unhandled sense code
    [51936.212046] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    [51936.212054] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Sense Key : Medium Error [current] [descriptor]
    [51936.212096] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda]  Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
    [51936.212108] sd 2:0:1:0: [sda] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 06 40 28 00 00 08 00
    [51936.212126] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 409642
    [51936.212133] Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 51205

  2. #2

    Lightbulb Possible solution

    Hi Ryan,

    I was tumbling around the web with the same issue as you and I think I found a solution. Two things have to be done:
    1. Enable kernel modules:
      Code:
      # modprobe hfs
      # modprobe hfsplus
      (Don’t know if this has to be done in order, but I guess it won’t hurt if you do so).
    2. Repopulate filesystem (credit: http://www.renanmarks.net/en/blog/re...g-linux-system ). Knoppix has parted, which AFAIK comes with a program called partprobe. Execute it now that it will recognize HFS partitions and then there you will find new directories under /media:
      Code:
      # partprobe /dev/sdb
      (assuming that the HFS partition is in /dev/sdb).

    Note: If you have a HFS+ partition (journal enabled) it will probably mount it in read-only mode. You can fix this by mounting the partition with the force option:
    Code:
    # mount -o force,rw /media/sdb2
    (again, assuming /dev/sdb2 is the HFS partition).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620 picture

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620

$325.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD

$635.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00