Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Strange boot scenario

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3

    Strange boot scenario

    I have a laptop with no internal CD/DVD ROM, however I have a USB CDROM. The problem is that the BIOS does not recognize the USB devices as bootable. I have (some Linux) and grub on the hard drive. What I would like to do is load the Knoppix kernel from the hard drive then get the rest of Knoppix from the CDROM. It seems like there should be a combination of grub command line arguments that will tell kernel how to locate the operating system.

    I copied the kernel from the KNOPPIX 6.4 over to (hd0,0). I was able to boot up the kernel and get a half-working busybox system running. from there using dmegs I was able to tell that the kernel recognized the USB CDROM as /dev/sr0 without no modules loaded into the kernel. However I was not able to get any farther than that. Any suggestions on how I can proceed?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Any suggestions on how I can proceed?
    Not sure if it will work, but you can try using the cheatcode fromhd=/dev/sr0, add that to your grub menu kernel line.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    I tried several things and it seemed to continually mount the root directory onto /dev/ root which was soft linked to /dev/sda1 after reading http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes I tried adding some other cheetcodes. here are a few of the grub combinations I used

    kernel (hd0,0)/knoppix-6.4-linux fromhd=/dev/sr0
    kernel (hd0,0)/knoppix-6.4-linux fromhd=/dev/sr0 knoppix_name=KNOPPIX
    kernel (hd0,0)/knoppix-6.4-linux boot=/dev/sr0

    Some of these would make the cdrom light flash for a while, but there would ultimately fix / to the wrong device.

    I then tried adding root=/dev/sr0 to the above commands. but this only resulted in a kernel panic because it could not find init.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    kernel (hd0,0)/knoppix-6.4-linux fromhd=/dev/sr0
    kernel (hd0,0)/knoppix-6.4-linux fromhd=/dev/sr0 knoppix_name=KNOPPIX
    kernel (hd0,0)/knoppix-6.4-linux boot=/dev/sr0
    I think your menu.lst is too simple to be useful. You should take the syslinux.cfg from the CDROM/DVD and translate it to menu.lst and ***THEN*** add the fromhd=/dev/sr0.

    The original syslinux.cfg is something like this :-
    Code:
    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off video=vga16fb:off initrd=minirt.gz nomce loglevel=1 tz=localtime
    The translated menu.lst is something like this ( I did not do the exact translation, the sample below is copied from my system ) :-
    Code:
    title Knoppix on Internal HD (testing)
            kernel /boot/syslinux/linux video=vga16fb:off lang=us apm=power-off nosound nomce loglevel=0 quiet dma noeject
            initrd /boot/syslinux/minirt.gz
            boot
    And then you can add fromhd=/dev/sr0 to the kernel line.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    ---SOLVE---
    Copy both the kernel AND minirt.gz to a media that is accessible to grub.

    I was talking to some people in ##Linux chatroom. I was inquiring on how I could start the CDROM manually. There replay was to look info on what is technically called an "initrd pivot". Once I had a grasp what the purpose of minirt.gz was, the pieces fell together in my mind.

    Once the kernel and minirt.gz are a grub accessible media, I need a minimum of three lines. The 'kernel' line that tells grub where I put the kernel. A second 'initrd' line tells where I put 'minirt.gz'. When grub gets to the boot line, it starts the kernel up and hands it minirt.gz. minirt.gz is packed with intelligent startup scripts. The (minirt.gz)s that comes with Knoppix 5.1 and Knoppix 4.6 are both pretty smart they were both able to find the operating system on the USB CDROM with no farther instructions. Although it is possible that setting 'fromhd=/dev/sr0' could speed things up a few seconds, by avoiding a hunt for the OS.

    All the other cheat sheet info is good for setting hardware and the graphics mode. I built something after reading http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

    The solution given by kl522 is good, provided that the kernel and initrd lines point to the location where I copied them to. Before I understood what initrd was, I would have tried to point to it's location on the USB-CDROM. Which would not have worked, because grub can't see the USB-CDROM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Microcomputer Builder's Bible IMSAI 8080 Z80 ADM-3A DEC LSI-11 Altair 8800 Bus picture

Microcomputer Builder's Bible IMSAI 8080 Z80 ADM-3A DEC LSI-11 Altair 8800 Bus

$65.00



S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco picture

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco

$89.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC

$69.99



640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog  picture

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog

$85.00



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800 picture

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800

$59.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00