Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Unable to boot into desktop environment

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    Cool Unable to boot into desktop environment

    <span style="background-color: #99FF99;">Hello,

    I'm having problems with Xorg, it seems. I can only get graphics to start working if I rename xorg.conf, otherwise it results in "no monitors found." Once those graphics start to appear (mountain background image starts to load, I can see and move mouse), it will drop back to terminal and give me a number of errors:

    I get 2x the "PreInit returned null for <x>" errors regarding my touchpad. One of the touchpad itself, another for the "Macintosh 2 button" emulation. I then get another for "Error setting MTR."

    In both cases it's also described as "Inappropriate IOCTL for device."

    The problem is that I just deployed to the big sand pit in the middle east and don't have any way to really troubleshoot this easily. It's my only laptop and until it's functional I don't even have internet access in my room (phone antenna too weak for signal). I have to walk about 1/2 mile over to the media center location to hop on a computer, so excuse the lack of exact detail in my errors/etc.

    Any help at all is wonderful.</span>

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    If the background image is a mountain you probably have an older version of Knoppix. The support of your graphics card might be better in a more recent version of Knoppix. The latest one is 6.7.0. I would try
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=vesa
    or
    Code:
    fb800x600
    at the boot prompt.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    [solved]

    I was able to solve off the live CD by applying at the prompt.

    knoppix xmodule=nv

    I later installed Knoppix directly to the drive, and I can swear that it worked straight from there the first time without any options needed. Very odd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Atari Portfolio 16-Bit PC Palmtop Computer - Retro Computing picture

Vintage Atari Portfolio 16-Bit PC Palmtop Computer - Retro Computing

$96.00



VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD picture

VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD

$34.99



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used picture

Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used

$47.99



Vintage Polk Audio AMR130 5.1 Channel 6 Piece Computer Speaker System Open Box picture

Vintage Polk Audio AMR130 5.1 Channel 6 Piece Computer Speaker System Open Box

$269.99



2 Vintage 1980's Pinetree Systems DP 2502 Portable Data Terminal Computers picture

2 Vintage 1980's Pinetree Systems DP 2502 Portable Data Terminal Computers

$149.95



VINTAGE Atari Portfolio Serial Interface Module picture

VINTAGE Atari Portfolio Serial Interface Module

$185.00



Vintage Apple iMac G3 M5521 PowerPC G3 500MHz 384MB RAM - No HDD, Bad CD Drive picture

Vintage Apple iMac G3 M5521 PowerPC G3 500MHz 384MB RAM - No HDD, Bad CD Drive

$249.95



Vintage Toshiba XM-6201B SCSI 50 Pin CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage Toshiba XM-6201B SCSI 50 Pin CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99