Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: lilo wont install to harddisk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2

    lilo wont install to harddisk

    Hi,
    I have both windows XP (hda1) and Linux (hda5) running on my laptop. I would like to install lilo on hda5 and use NT loader to boot into either OS. I have boot of the laptop using Knoppix CD, however when I try to install lilo onto /dev/hda5, I have receive the following error:

    Fatal: create /boot/map~: Read-only file system

    I have search through the forum along with other site to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

    P.S. I have mounted the file system and have no problem read/write to it.

    mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5

    lilo.conf

    boot=/dev/hda5
    dealy=10
    ramdisk=0
    root=/dev/hda5
    image=vmlinuz
    initrd=initrd
    label=linux

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    A little more information on my progress so far. I have created:
    /mnt/hda5/etc/lilo.conf
    /mnt/hda5/dev
    /mnt/hda5/boot

    Run the following command:

    lilo -v -r /mnt/hda5

    NOW, I have received the following error:

    Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda5")

    Not sure what this error is referring to, I have no raid setup on the laptop. It just a simple single drive with two partion.

    Anyone with any suggestion?

  3. #3
    I had the exact same problem.

    It turned out to be that my lilo.conf was munged and didn't have a initrd option in it.

    What I did is add:
    initrd=/initrd.img
    to my /vmlinuz block of my lilo.conf.

    ALSO when I was trying to fix my lilo.conf from a debian boot disk I read there was some problem with running lilo in chroot.

    So I mounted the broken partitions to /target and did a chroot to /target and ran lilo and it fixed everything.

    Hopefully this will help someone!!

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix wont boot from lilo
    By ed9598 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 02:18 AM
  2. knoppix wont write lilo
    By gieltje in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 09:06 PM
  3. how to install knoppix on harddisk?
    By Panada in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 02:08 PM
  4. How to install Knopix 3.2 to my harddisk
    By david90schr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 04:24 PM
  5. lilo wont detect my winxp partition
    By bitwarrior in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 03:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator picture

Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator

$220.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



1950 High Speed Computers Analog ENIAC UNIVAC EDVAC IBM SSEC Relay Logic Tubes picture

1950 High Speed Computers Analog ENIAC UNIVAC EDVAC IBM SSEC Relay Logic Tubes

$65.00



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00