View Poll Results: Which should be the default graphical WWW browser in Knoppix?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Firefox/Iceweasel 6 (currently Debian/unstable+testing)

    26 63.41%
  • Firefox/Iceweasel 7 Beta (from Debian/experimental)

    2 4.88%
  • Chromium (newest version from Debian/unstable+testing)

    11 26.83%
  • Konqueror/Dolphin from KDE (newest version from Debian/unstable+testing)

    1 2.44%
  • Internet Exploder

    0 0%
  • Something Else? (Please state what below)

    4 9.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Klaus Knopper Requests Your Feedback - please take this poll

  1. #11
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... yes, I only used the package size from aptitude.

    But now, I tested it extensive:
    purge xulrunner
    http://www.wp-schulz.de/grafiken/xulrunner.PNG
    and remaster Knoppix

    purge chromium
    http://www.wp-schulz.de/grafiken/chromium.PNG
    install iceweasel
    http://www.wp-schulz.de/grafiken/iceweasel.PNG
    and remaster Knoppix

    The result: the remastered ISO with Chromium is 22880K bigger than the remastered ISO with Iceweasel.


    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Werner,

    What answer do you get when you reverse this process?

  3. #13
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... I can purge Iceweasel without any problems. But if I try to reinstall Chromium, I get a large list of version conflicts an violated dependencies.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks, Werner.

    FWIW, for the CD-size 2 Gb LiveUSB, with no re-mastering, just Synaptic:

    Size of free in /home/knoppix at first............................................. .....................598.2 Mb
    Size of free in /home/knoppix after .addition. of IceWeasel using Synaptic...590.8 Mb
    Size of free in /Home/knoppix after 'deletion' of Chromium. using Synaptic..555.7 Mb
    Size of free in /Home/knoppix after .addition, of Ad Block + and Subscr........505.6 Mb

    Chromium, in this case, remains a part of the KNOPPIX compressed file.
    It would be a LOT cheaper in Mbs just to keep the Chromium if you can't re-master.
    Moreover, re-installing Chromium at this point doesn't seem to be an option using
    ...Synaptic because of 'uninstallable' broken dependencies

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Talking Rock, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3
    Saw the announcement about this poll over at debian-knoppix so will "byte", in particular because I had just seen Chromium and Knoppix mentioned in the same breath recently..

    In attempting to upgrade Iceweasel off of a tiny bit outdated Knoppix version last year (due to a compatibility issue with one domain registrar), I discovered Icecat.. STILL having compatibility issues with same said registrar, BUT *I LOVE ICECAT* otherwise.. As much as anything I think it is because they profess to try to be as purely "free" as possible..

    Have tried some of the others like Opera and Seamonkey.. Opera and Seamonkey are "neat" in each their own way because of the bells and whistles their respective communities have developed.. Icecat (installed locally while running off live DVD), though, has and likely will keep my loyalty at this point because of the "free" aspect along with a *cognitive* usability/accessibility factor which is its simpleness..

    *Thank you* for asking us.. Warmest wishes from North Georgia..

    PS.. For what it's worth, Konqueror is my fallback Choice when I have that now RARE "compatibility" issue with any websites..

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... I can purge Iceweasel without any problems. But if I try to reinstall Chromium, I get a large list of version conflicts an violated dependencies.
    Yep. If you try:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get --dry-run upgrade

    That will tell you which packages are out of date and which would be 'held back' if you try to upgrade. If you delete, directly or indirectly, any package listed as 'held back', it won't reinstall.

    Chromium is 'held back'. So are parts of LibreOffice.

    This will get worse over time until Knoppix catches up with a new release.

    Some might argue this is a reason for preferring packages from back port repositories over packages from unstable or experimental repositories.
    Last edited by Forester; 08-26-2011 at 08:43 PM.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    An addendum to post #14 for intrepid rm * users:

    Size of free in /Home/knoppix after hand-deletion of chromium-related entries in KNOPPIX-DATA.....542.8 Mb

    But remember, even so, it's still a zombie in the KNOPPIX compressed file.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    Firefox

    I've been using Mozilla's navigators since "before" they become that, in fact (remember how Netscape was better that "the other" browser?). I think Chromium is not that faster and lighter when compared to Firefox. Besides, the toolbars are better in Firefox. So: I'll go for Firefox without looking back.
    But if you are thinking lighter, we should consider Seamonkey, Midori or something else, also.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2
    - it is not accessible for blind people with orca.
    This is really bad, especially for the ADRIANE
    CD version where Firefox previously provided a
    good way for browsing graphically and having
    speech output+braille. I realized this only after the
    6.7.0 release of Knoppix.
    This is a big deal. While I use Chromium and like it. I did not know that. Important if you are setting up a system for a company and their HR department or similar policy states that the company must address these things like sight-challenged workers. So for that, I put my vote in for Firefox/Iceweasel.

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    I feel it is important that the browser on the CD is 'mainstream' &, considering KK's wife is blind, that it is usable by the blind, as this is one of his motivations to keep on working on Knoppix Live Linux.

    Most people can use the DVD, so there will always be choice there.

    Personally, I like minimalist systems, to the point of using VT's a lot, with the likes of mc, herrie, SC, screen, sqlite, fbi, etc. But when I want the web lynx doesn't cut it for me.

    The only thing I would like to see, is a down loadable usb version, so that I can just dd it; & fdisk, format the rest of the drive for personal files.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573) picture

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)

$149.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Advantech FWA-1010VC Network Appliance Firewall Security Gateway picture

Advantech FWA-1010VC Network Appliance Firewall Security Gateway

$90.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$219.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99