-

Originally Posted by
utu
I wonder if we might return to your thread,
and specifically your program doremaster.
Of the nine views, three are mine.
I had a very quick look at the script over on your thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/29435-Re-mastering-Proof-of-Principle-Effort and at the scripts I have here in my archive.
Here's the irony ... the script I published for you and dinosoep to try out was very much a cut down version and it seems that folks have been busy ever since trying to add back what I took out. 
It wasn't that I didn't want to share. The script was flexible and powerful. The more powerful, the more rope with which one could hang oneself and the greater the difficulty of describing how to use it safley.
So I dumbed it down for you. It seemed I hadn't dumbed it down enough but I couldn't see how I could dumb it down any further. I was flummoxed.
I have tried, on and off this forum, to help people who are not exactly 'computer literate'. Their very best attempt to articulate their problem is "It doesn't work". You have to be very patient with such people. After asking them a lot of dumb questions you figure out that "doesn't work" means that their PC boots Windows when they expect it to boot Knoppix and that by "it" they mean Knoppix, not Windows or their PC. After a lot of heading scratching, you suggest they open the CD drive, turn the CD over and try again. Surprise, now it works.
The feed back I got from you was along the lines of "It doesn't work. When you fix it could you add the following features ...".
I was nonplussed. I expected something more constructive from a Senior Member on this forum. My mistake. I apologise.
Had you written "I've changed the script as suggested. Here's a diff -Naur showing my changes. Can you see where I've gone wrong ?" I expect I would have (then, yes, now, maybe not).
Had you written "When I run the script I get the following output ... [copy/paste]. This doesn't look right. What should I expect to see ?" I expect I would have been able to tell you immediately.
Instead I get "Stuck at square one". All that told me was you hadn't got far enough to have a new LiveUSB that wouldn't boot (I expected that one) or you'd run out of 'disk space' half way through (which I now expect you'd hit first).
Folks I have helped spread out on a wide spectrum. At one end are those who genuinely want to understand their problem so they can solve it themselves. I have all the time in the world for them. At the other end are those who want someone else to take responsibility for their problem. Not interested in helping them and I'm not sorry to say so.
On this occasion you definitely came over as being at the wrong end of the spectrum.
There may be feedback on that thread from other people. Their feedback might be more useful but I'm not interested. I published the script for you. All I know is it doesn't work. Forget it. Life is too short.
There are several people on these forums who have meddled with remastering and are computer literate enough to make their own way. They perhaps don't have much incentive to collaborate. I guess I'm one of those and you aren't. I sympathise but I cannot empathise. Somewhere on the long, rambling, thread that started talking about 6.7.0 someone replied to a question of yours with the suggestion you try it for yourself. I can empathise with the irritation that prompted that response but I can't sympathise. You deserve better. But then so do we all.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code
$108.09