-
Senior Member
registered user
Further refinements to the personal backup idea.
.
I've incorporated all of Werner's excellent suggestions, and since
I found I never referred to the tar listing, that's been omitted.
In examining the remaining contributors to the 'personal backup', I found
that not only is .mozilla the real space hog, but its caches are its
biggest contributors. It is possible to clear at least one of these caches
with a quick trip to the IceWeasel Edit>Preferences GUI before making
a backup, resulting in a great reduction in the size of the stored file.
A revised listing is as follows:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# new.backup2: do 'chmod +x new.backup2' & 'chown root:root new.backup2'
# Before backup, Go to Edit>Prefs on IceWeasel & 'Clear Now' the Off-Line cache.
#
cd /; STOR=/mnt-system/update$(date +'%m%d%H').tar.gz
echo -e 'Compressing data; patience, this may take a little time..\c'
tar -czf $STOR KNOPPIX-DATA/home/ KNOPPIX-DATA/etc/ \
KNOPPIX-DATA/root/ mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
echo '.Done.'; echo 'Restore using the command, tar -xzf '$STOR' -C /'
#
exit 0
Now if some clever person here will inform me of some appropriate API,
assuming there is one, we might automate that effort as well. This is
to say that I haven't been able to 'exclude' from the tar inclusion
the Cache & OfflineCache directories from ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/
which are the culprits I'd like to exclude.
-
Werner's excellent suggestions
Please, don't exaggerate 
A suggestion with exclude something:
Code:
cd /; STOR=/mnt-system/update$(date +'%m%d%H').tar.gz
echo -e 'Compressing data; patience, this may take a little time..\n'
tar -cz --exclude=*/Cache/* --exclude=*/OfflineCache/* \
-f $STOR KNOPPIX-DATA/home/ KNOPPIX-DATA/etc/ \
KNOPPIX-DATA/root/ mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks, I needed that.
.
With that refinement, my backup only takes 46 Mb now.
Thanks a heap & best regards.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco 10-3388-01 SFP-10/25G-CSR-S SFP28 CSR 10G/25G MMF 850nm LC Transceiver
$105.00

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

CISCO SFP-GE-Z , 1000BASE-ZX SFP 1550nm 70km DOM
$69.00

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR
$47.99

HPE P10109-B21 MCX512F-ACAT 10/25GbE Dual-Port SFP28 NIC P10107-001 P12608-001
$100.00