-
Senior Member
registered user
Howto update to kernel 2.6.0-test4
The debian kernel-image-2.6.0-test2 didn't even boot on my machine. I have compile kernels before, with now and then a succes story. I encountered the following problems with 'deploying' kernel 2.6.0-test4:
- blank console (solved)
- aRtsd (KDE soundserver) will only use OSS-emulation API of ALSA (solved)
- network card won't work (solved)
- mousewheel (Logitech mouse) won't work in X (solved)
I downloaded the Linus-kernel, applied no patches. Used "make menuconfig" to configure the kernel. At first I was a bit overwhelmed by all the (already expanded) options. I did a "make defconfig" to get a quite minimal configuration to start editing on.
Some tips:
- use make defconfig to get an tiny default configuration without all/most options expanded.
- compile all framebuffer support (for graphics on consoles) you need into the kernel else you might end up with a blank screen like I did.
- apt-get install module-init-tools, to get a 2.4/2.5/2.6 compatible init. Testing and unstable have a newer version.
- compile ALSA as module, this might improve compatibility with older apps.
- apt-get remove knx-alsa ; apt-get install alsa-utils/testing alsa-base/testing alsaconf/testing, to get a 2.6 compatible ALSA-lib/utils.
Usefull docs:
"The post halloween doc" (list of known problems+solutions with late 2.5 kernels)
HowTo Upgrade To The 2.6 Kernel (decolapsing all comments can be helpfull)
Building:
Code:
make mrproper
make menuconfig or make xconfig
make
make modules_install
make install
Modify your lilo.conf
How I fixed the problems I encountered:
- Though I did compile the framebuffer as module, it didn't solve the blank console by compiling it into the kernel. Also enableing the nVidia Riva/GeForce support didn't help me either (i have a Geforce4 MX440). So after some fiddeling I disabled "VGA 16-color graphics support" and enabled "VESA VGA graphics support" in the "Graphics support" menu. If I enable 16-color VGA my console remains blank.
- Upgrade ALSA to fix the wierdness with aRtsd
I first tried to solve it by compiling ALSA als module, I read somewhere that ALSA is new in the kernel and that some apps still require ALSA modules like in the ol' 2.4.x days.
Code:
apt-get remove knx-alsa
apt-get install alsa-utils/testing alsa-base/testing alsaconf/testing
alsa-utils from unstable requires a new libc6 (>= 2.3.2-1), didn't want to upgrade...
One of the ALSa packages will ask what drivers to load, select the card(s) you have configured for your kernel.
- boot with "acpi=off" to get my sis900 networkcard working, or compile the kernel without any powermanagement. This seems like a gross bug to me.
- Apparently the autodetect of the "mouse-protocol" in X is broken for kernel 2.6, set the used mouse protocol from "PS/2" to "IMPS/2". Snippet:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
...
InputDevice "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection
...
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "PS/2 Mouse" # Match this with InputDevice above
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # Change this
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection
Similar Threads
-
By powerbychanin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 05:23 AM
-
By Bazou in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-14-2004, 09:12 AM
-
By fish_guy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-22-2003, 03:11 AM
-
By WankelWannabe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-10-2003, 03:50 PM
-
By my2cents in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99