Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: The easiest kernel install yet and no xfs patch either!

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57

    2.6-test, anyone?

    Has anyone tried a 2.6 test kernel with these instructions? I'll give it a whirl, if I can find the time.

    -SUO

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9
    I got and used a vanilla kernel from kernel.org and had no problems upgrading to get to 2.4.22 and it took fewer commands than this.

    Maybe I'm just not as paranoid? Whatever, you find what works for you and run with it.

    There is also more than one way to do these things, obviously.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Easton, PA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the tips. I tried upgrading using the standard Debian method and my system couldn't find the new modules setup. This did the trick.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    Kernel build

    Having no success with initrd to get ext3 up, decided to follow your procedure and redo the kernel. Downloaded the 2.4.22 package, first tried making a fresh xconfig but had to edit its result anyway since ext3 and jbd were not even choices there so reverted back to the existing config and edited that. All this was not so terrible. After editing it, read it into the xsonfig and then saved.

    First tried to make-kpkg with the modules (not necessary, since they were all there--same version as I have, but). This proceded, left a 3meg vmlinuz on the src directory but did produce anything usable. I was no really looking, I suppose. Cleaned and did it again with out the modules (I am not trying to make an initrd but activated the cramfs as well). Where it fails (it took longer this time!!), is that it cannot open a ....\extra\module... file for writing and exited error=255. I was not out of disk space. The "extra" subdirectory was not there. Made it, repeated (without cleaning, it passes everything already done--tell us that!), the same error.

    Afraid I was out of diskspace, I removed the package (everything already compiled). Repeat the make-dpkg which failed at the same point. So another 30meg did not help. I ended up deleting the whole business--will try again when I know more, probably with 2.6.

    1. There were compiler warnings--long too small for integer constant !!!, deprecated operations, result always true/false because of size of variable, etc. Don't like that.

    2. How much disk space IS really needed to do this.

    3. How does one recover from the error and procedes.

    4. That too-large vmlinuz? What is it? Too big for lilo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. cloop kernel patch
    By Albert in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 05:26 PM
  2. How do u patch a kernel?
    By Smoke187 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 12:58 AM
  3. How to install supermount kernel patch?
    By eracerbit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 12:48 AM
  4. Would someone please patch the knoppix kernel with i2c?
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:11 PM
  5. Knoppix-kernel.patch
    By ozfrog in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC picture

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC

$27.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile

$35.00