Greetings, marlas.
It would be helpful if you would be specific as to which firmware you have
found to be not up-to-date, or missing. I'm sure Klaus Knopper would be
glad to be made aware of this information.
I found that knoppix did not have many firmware packages included, and these witch are included are old -(from stabele release). There are newer in backports (of course also in unstable and testing).
I think live distro should focus on supporting as meny hardware platforms as possible and including drivers and firmwares as many as possible is essential.
Greetings, marlas.
It would be helpful if you would be specific as to which firmware you have
found to be not up-to-date, or missing. I'm sure Klaus Knopper would be
glad to be made aware of this information.
All firmware form firmware-nonfree packages are in 0.28 verion in backports there is 0.32 version, in testing and unstable 0.34.
There are no firmware-linux-free package and others packages starting with firmware-... eg libertas myricom qlogic
@ marlas
I don't understand your complaint relative to Knoppix 6.7.1.
You can locate most any software that's available by choosing your repositories
and reloading Synaptic.
The availability of non-free firmware is not controlled by any Linux developer.
Of all the Linuxes, Knoppix has one of the best reputations in regard to the distribution
itself working with the widest assortment of computer hardware.
If you have a specific configuration problem, there are people in this forum
which can probably help, but you'll have to be more specific.
1. I have wifi card witch is not working because of old firmware in knoppix.
2. I can't dowload and install newer because I can't connect to internet, why - see 1.
And as I said. IMHO, old firmware in LIVE distribustion is something that should not happen.

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On
$25.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read
$329.95
A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95
Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord
$23.99
Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games
$349.30