Greetings, thumbdrive.
What was the process you used to 'install' extundelete?
I figured my thumbdrive distro (KNOPPIX) would be the best place to have a utility to recover any files I might accidentally delete from my ext4 partitions.
But, I get unresolved dependencies related to e2fs when I try to install it. I checked with dumpe2fs and I have the version needed according to the extundelte website.
<rant>Why is is SO EXTREMELY HARD to install ANYTHING??? If you download the source, you have to go through the whole makefile mess which requires (among other things) a bunch of packages which aren't in the repos, or you can try the package route and end up with unresolved dependencies! </rant>
Is there a guide anywhere on how to actually get stuff other people wrote to compile in Linux?
Greetings, thumbdrive.
What was the process you used to 'install' extundelete?
Greetings again, thumbdrive.
Using Synaptic, I notice the following:
extundelete has 5 dependencies;
the first dependency, e2fslibs >= 1.41.99, is currently unmet; but,
this unmet dependency has a solution in the testing repo.
I would expect Synaptic to install extundelete AND to upgrade e2fslibs
if it has access to the testing repo.
I suggest you give Synaptic a try if you haven't.

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99