-
Senior Member
registered user
@ luther
Looks like ssb was a success, but not b43.
My guess is that Synaptic's fwcutter needs some 'proprietary' driver
information from which to create b43. Something available only from
Broadcom.
Hang in there, I'll google around a bit and get back to you.
-
Senior Member
registered user
@ Luther
You have run into Catch22.
fwcutter works best if you have internet access already. You don't
This reference supposedly tells us how to proceed without internet access.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ernet%20access
It likely will entail a download of a file from Broadcom, which you can
do with Mint.
Then there will be some magic to work with fwcutter to liberate the
proprietary stuff.
We both need some time to read and try to understand it.
Start reading at 'Installing b43 drivers...no internet access'.
Last edited by utu; 04-14-2012 at 08:00 PM.
-
Werner's Preference

Originally Posted by
utu
@ luther
Looks like ssb was a success, but not b43.
My guess is that Synaptic's fwcutter needs some 'proprietary' driver
information from which to create b43. Something available only from
Broadcom.
Hang in there, I'll google around a bit and get back to you.
Dear utu:
Werner prefers using this Package Manager:
Within CLI-version of aptitude use "l" (little L) to list for example "b43-"
use "v" to get versions
use "+" to select for installation
use "_" to purge installed Packages
use "g" to install
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why not use CLI-version of aptitude?
I'm not familiar with its SYNTAX and
can't find any CLI-version docs?
Please help!
luther
PS. Keep it simple!
-
Online via Ethernet

Originally Posted by
utu
@ Luther
You have run into Catch22.
fwcutter works best if you have internet access already. You don't
Dear utu:
This is the MAIN reason to get WIFI! There are cables running down a flight of
stairs to the routers ethernet port. So knoppix 6.7.1 DVD and CD do have
internet access!
Keep the pile to a minimun, please.
luther
-
Senior Member
registered user
Using either CLI and aptitude or Synaptic is ok with me.
I usually use Synaptic and assume it knows better than I how
to get all the dependencies squared away.
I usually defer to Werner since he knows a lot more than I do,
but we've got to be careful to keep b43 separate from STA.
I'm pretty sure STA gets you wl; and, b43 and wl just don't go
together.
I haven't finished my reading yet, but it's probably going to
end up doing a few command line things to get fwcutter and
and the Broadcom proprietary file together in some useful way.
It is too bad you don't have an external wifi like my $10 Netgear;
it lets me use fwcutter to bring in the Broadcom stuff via
Synaptic. That's how I get around this for Ubuntu-derived linuxes.
An alternative for you might be to just temporarily hook your
computer via ethernet to your router.
Back to my reading now.
-
Knoppix is using RG-45 Cable

Originally Posted by
utu
An alternative for you might be to just temporarily hook your
computer via ethernet to your router.
Back to my reading now.
Hey utu!
This computer is already wired to router via RG-45 cable,
so lets move on to the next hurdle . . .
Today, I'm using knoppix 6.7.1 LiveCD, installed to flash. I'll
shut down windows XP and reboot with the LiveUSB. In fact
I'll send you a "bounce", to make sure, next.
luther
-
Bounce

Originally Posted by
utu
An alternative for you might be to just temporarily hook your
computer via ethernet to your router.
Back to my reading now.
Hey utu!
If you received this message, Knoppix 6.7.1 is ONLINE, via ethernet.
As stated in previous post, I must plug in my ISP's nameserver into:
/etc/resolv.conf
NetworkManager Applet 0.8.4 does a Master Clear of this script,
every time knoppix gets rebooted.
luther
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
luther
This computer is already wired to router via RG-45 cable,
so lets move on to the next hurdle
If so, give fwcutter another chance to do its thing.
-
Repeatable SOLID failure

Originally Posted by
utu
If so, give fwcutter another chance to do its thing.
Dear utu:
Suspect b43 is not in the PATH for modprobe, but ssb is:
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo modprobe -a ssb
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo modprobe -a b43
WARNING: Module b43 not found.
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
It appears also that ssb gets blown out, like nameserver,
at re-boot!
Thanks for your time,
luther
PS. Still stumped.
-
Senior Member
registered user
@ luther
If you tried to re-install both b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43-install via Synaptic,
What error message did you receive on the final 'Changes applied Details' screen?
When I try it on my unit it identifies correctly my 4315 and says 'not supported'
among other things. It says it tried to use Broadcom 4.150.10.5-4, so at least it
found the Broadcom material.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Microcomputer Builder's Bible IMSAI 8080 Z80 ADM-3A DEC LSI-11 Altair 8800 Bus
$65.00

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00