Greetings, Karibu
Perhaps this thread will help you.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00002.html
Hello..
I run Knoppix 6.7.1 from an USB pendrive on my HP Pavilion g6-1b67ca Laptop.
Using Synaptic Package Manager I tried to install vlc mediaplayer.
From S.P.M. I get the following message:
vlc:
Depends: vlc-nox but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse but it is not going to be installed
I'm not that well educated to understand what this is all about and I really
appresiate if somebody could help me with that.
Thanks
Greetings, Karibu
Perhaps this thread will help you.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00002.html
Thank you, utu,
Yes, it really helped...the installation was flawless...
For some reason it's not playing though.
When I open a video, let's say an .avi file, it starts and immediately stops again.
Exactly the same behavior as the default GNOME MPlayer..
When I try with a .divx file I get an error message: see screenshot.
.
Greetings, Karibu.
Have you tried both the stable & unstable versions as Klaus suggested?
@Karibu
You did not write that you found a solution for your audio device issue. Therefore I am not surprised that the media player cannot play sounds through the default sound device. VLC media player might have an option to disable sound.
I tried both...no success...astonishingly enough, I had dependency conflicts with --stable---see terminal output
Sorry for the trouble.. there is no need to install vlc... default player works! It was all my fault---! the USB flash drive was only 2GB and therefore not enough space to run a movie. Sorry! PS.: Still no sound though???

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00
Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)
$64.99
[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.
$299.99
16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25
$17.99
SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99
Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM
$10.99
Crucial DDR4 SDRAM DIMM Desktop Memory RAM Kit, 288-Pin, 2-Module (((2x 32gb))
$350.00
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz DIMM RAM CMK32GX4M2E3200C16
$140.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00