Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cannot install vlc media-player...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Cannot install vlc media-player...

    Hello..
    I run Knoppix 6.7.1 from an USB pendrive on my HP Pavilion g6-1b67ca Laptop.
    Using Synaptic Package Manager I tried to install vlc mediaplayer.
    From S.P.M. I get the following message:

    vlc:
    Depends: vlc-nox but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse but it is not going to be installed

    I'm not that well educated to understand what this is all about and I really
    appresiate if somebody could help me with that.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Karibu
    Perhaps this thread will help you.
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00002.html

  3. #3
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Thank you, utu,
    Yes, it really helped...the installation was flawless...
    For some reason it's not playing though.
    When I open a video, let's say an .avi file, it starts and immediately stops again.
    Exactly the same behavior as the default GNOME MPlayer..
    When I try with a .divx file I get an error message: see screenshot.


    .
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Karibu.
    Have you tried both the stable & unstable versions as Klaus suggested?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    @Karibu

    You did not write that you found a solution for your audio device issue. Therefore I am not surprised that the media player cannot play sounds through the default sound device. VLC media player might have an option to disable sound.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Greetings, Karibu.
    Have you tried both the stable & unstable versions as Klaus suggested?
    Not yet, but I'll do it soon...keep you posted...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    @Karibu
    You did not write that you found a solution for your audio device issue. Therefore I am not surprised that the media player cannot play sounds through the default sound device. VLC media player might have an option to disable sound.
    You are totally right: this issue is not solved.
    Therefore my thought was to try vlc, but this didn't solve the issue either ....

  8. #8
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    I tried both...no success...astonishingly enough, I had dependency conflicts with --stable---see terminal output
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Sorry for the trouble.. there is no need to install vlc... default player works! It was all my fault---! the USB flash drive was only 2GB and therefore not enough space to run a movie. Sorry! PS.: Still no sound though???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10 picture

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10

$1505.77



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151

$39.99



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P picture

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P

$319.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99